• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GPS for walking...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Does one need GPS? Wouldn't it be possible for a device to work out a fairly exact position from sun direction, time, compass position and declination? Like orienteering for people who can't be arsed to do it themselves.

Naturally I am looking for something exceedingly cheap. Thought that went without saying in my case.
    well, historically people like Hornblower were pretty good at finding their position on the globe, but you wouldnt want to carry a big clock, chart and sextant around on your back. would you ?

for all practical purposes, you have two choices, get the gps system, or get yourself trained up as a top orienteer

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I was thinking a little miniaturised Hornblowery thing you could put in your pocket.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I was thinking a little miniaturised Hornblowery thing you could put in your pocket.
        A pocket sextant? Like my avatar?

Comment

actually, you make a blooming good point here Xoggoth. DOH - its so obvious.

Hornblower (and a gps) will tell you where you are on the globe (even if the map underneath is wrong)

A crack orienteer will tell you exactly where you are on a map (and God help you if the map is wrong)

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I think they got pretty good at estimating latitude using a sextant, within a couple of miles IIRC. Longitude needed a watch and/or deadreckoning.

Comment

Got one of them - A miniature folding brass sextant about the size of a large pocket watch.

Looks nice in its satin lined mahogany box, but the trouble is I have no idea how to use it.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Got one of them - A miniature folding brass sextant about the size of a large pocket watch.

Looks nice in its satin lined mahogany box, but the trouble is I have no idea how to use it.
                It all seems pretty straightforward

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I think they got pretty good at estimating latitude using a sextant, within a couple of miles IIRC.
                  The Wiki says an experienced navigator could determine position using a sextant to an accuracy of a quarter of a nautical mile

Comment

Working...
                  X