• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GPS for walking...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW these things secretly keep a log of where you've been
    That would have been great, I could use it to find my mobile phone I dropped in the woods last week. I will have one last attempt to find it today but there is little hope for my poor little phone. Sob.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

also often navigate using the sun
      I used to do that until I found out the bastard was dishonest. I would know exactly which direction to go and it would try and fool me by shining from the North.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        I used to do that until I found out the bastard was dishonest. I would know exactly which direction to go and it would try and fool me by shining from the North.
        Yeah, Australians are always getting lost.

You can use the moon too, though my memory of this is a bit flakier, specifically relating to its accuracy. I have used it though. If you contiue an imagined line of the shadow of the earth on the moon (there is probably a name for this line, but it escapes me) to the horizon, that's south, or north in the southern hemisphere. So I guess at full moon, south is directly below the moon. Course the stars would be easier to use than the moon, except for Australians again.

Comment

You should have cross referenced that with which side of a tree the moss was growing on
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Yeah, Australians are always getting lost.

You can use the moon too, though my memory of this is a bit flakier, specifically relating to its accuracy. I have used it though. If you contiue an imagined line of the shadow of the earth on the moon (there is probably a name for this line, but it escapes me) to the horizon, that's south, or north in the southern hemisphere. So I guess at full moon, south is directly below the moon. Course the stars would be easier to use than the moon, except for Australians again.
            I had one of the most 'doh' moments of my life when some spotty youth in Australia explained to me a few years ago how to find North with a digital watch.

He told me to just imagine a clock face, and imagine where the hour hand would be. (The look on his face was 'jeez mate, dont they teach you poms ANYTHING in school ')

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              I had one of the most 'doh' moments of my life when some spotty youth in Australia explained to me a few years ago how to find North with a digital watch.

He told me to just imagine a clock face, and imagine where the hour hand would be. (The look on his face was 'jeez mate, dont they teach you poms ANYTHING in school ')

One trouble I have is remembering whether to point the hour hand or the twelve o'clock position at the sun before bisecting the angle (it's the hour hand, but I checked again just now in case). Usually an approximate direction will do me, fortunately as it isn't super accurate anyway.

Comment

Not much good if you run miles through dank drippy woods.
                Neither are most GPS units as they won't get a signal.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Neither are most GPS units as they won't get a signal.
                  The later and more expensive GPSs will work fine even inside a concrete building.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Neither are most GPS units as they won't get a signal
                    Ah yes. Second time I've forgotten that point. Did a bug identification app on Android and emailed a site with lots of photos suggesting we did a link to them for those species we did not have. He said they had already paid someone a lot of dosh to look into it and gave up as nobody could get a signal out in the sticks.

Does one need GPS? Wouldn't it be possible for a device to work out a fairly exact position from sun direction, time, compass position and declination? Like orienteering for people who can't be arsed to do it themselves.

The later and more expensive GPSs
                    Naturally I am looking for something exceedingly cheap. Thought that went without saying in my case.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 18 November 2010, 17:40.
                    bloggoth

Comment

Ah yes. Second time I've forgotten that point. Did a bug identification app on Android and emailed a site with lots of photos suggesting we did a link to them for those species we did not have. He said they had already paid someone a lot of dosh to look into it and gave up as nobody could get a signal out in the sticks.

Does one need GPS? Wouldn't it be possible for a device to work out a fairly exact position from sun direction, time, compass position and declination? Like orienteering for people who can't be arsed to do it themselves.
                      I assume he meant a mobile phone signal - if anything, a GPS receiver is likely to perform better in the countryside than in a built-up area, as it can see more of the sky.

Comment

Working...
                      X