• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I thought we were in massive debt?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell you what we give them £7B they give us Dublin.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      WTF do you want Dublin for? It's got some good pubs, two decent universities and one or two nice buildings, but an awful lot of sink estates too.

I say give them 7 billion on the condition they take that bloody NI off our hands.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

That might work

we would save a fortune not subsidising their politicians.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

I say give them 7 billion on the condition they take that bloody NI off our hands.
          I don't think they could afford to do that
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            UK pledges £7bn to help bail Ireland out of debt crisis - Telegraph

So, let's get this straight. We MUST cut our own public spending becuase of a record breaking deficit. UK citizens must suffer the pain.

But hey, the Irish, who have been having a whale of a time speculating on property are worthy of £7bn of money we don't have?

You couldn't make this tulip up.
            This is a topic for grownups to discuss, it's not like when your mate ate his sweeties too fast and wanted some of yours.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It makes sense to do it - should Ireland fall then it would affect interest payments paid by Govt and BoE would have to print more money. Considering amount of "QE" already done and in pipeline this £7 bln is peanuts.

At least Ireland and Greece actually CUT public sector proper - real cuts in salaries.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                It makes sense to do it - should Ireland fall then it would affect interest payments paid by Govt and BoE would have to print more money.
                Please explain the logic behind that statement
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  We should also get in on their 'Free Cheese' thing.

Mmmmm.. cheese

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Please explain the logic behind that statement
                    "Cost of National Debt: The cost of National debt is the interest the government has to pay on the bonds and gilts it sells. In the first six months of 2010, the debt interest payments were £21.6bn, suggesting an annual cost of around £43bn (3% of GDP)"

Source: UK National Debt — Economics Blog

So £7 bln is around 2 months worth of UKs interest debt payments. If Ireland falls and its bond holders register losses then it would reduce demand for Govt debt apart from safe heavens (UK isn't one of them - USA might still qualify), so you'd sell less gilts at higher interest rate and also will have to print money to buy unsold gilts from Govt.

Now what EU should do is tell Ireland in certain terms to stop being a legit offshore and increase tax rates for things like corp tax (12% I think) - something like 15-18% would be closer to fair deal and UK should reduce their own to the same level that should be common across all Europe (plus minuse few percentage points).

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      WTF do you want Dublin for? It's got some good pubs, two decent universities and one or two nice buildings, but an awful lot of sink estates too.

twenthy five
                      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                      X