• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working from home

Hi all,

Whats the best strategy for going about this? How much time does one usually spend at a client before popping the question?

How does the type of role affect the chances of being able to work from home?

What kind of availability do they usually require?

Any problems if home is in another country?

OK peeps thanks in advance

Don't dick around, just come out with it and ask your client. They will either say yes or no (and nine times out of ten it will be 'no').

Comment

During the interview I asked for (and was granted) WFH on Fridays - the caveat being if the project needs me on a Friday then I have to be in the office.

So it's up to me to ensure I am never needed

Comment

Or, if you have the stones and the appropriate clause in your contract, then just tell your client that you intend to work from home for X amount of time and produce Y deliverables in the process.

Being governed in your working practicies in the same manner as the clients permanent employess may not do your IR35 case much good.

IIRC the PCG contract templates contain a clsue to the effect "I'm a profesional working in a profesional manner under my own direction and I will produce the contracted deliverables in such a way as I see fit." Not exactly those words but pretty much to that effect.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Thanks DaveB, yet another reason to join PCG however I liked the eloquence of the Master too

Comment

Originally posted by Antman
            Thanks DaveB, yet another reason to join PCG however I liked the eloquence of the Master too
            The only thing you can say for certain in this game is that if you don't ask, you definitely don't get.

Oh yes, thanks for the reminder Zeitghost... I am the Master and you must obey me...

Comment

Originally posted by The Master
              Oh yes, thanks for the reminder Zeitghost... I am the Master and you must obey me...
              Awww, who's a good ickle Giant Alien Lizard *pat pat*
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

the most important thing is not to give the client the impression that they are involved in the decision. you organise your own time, store up all the report writing/documentation type work so you've got something to do, then do it.

also, much harder to do if they have become used to seeing you in the office all the time - as a matter of principle I try to make sure I work from home at least once in the first month of an assignment.

and on that basis, been shirking from home on a regular basis for the past 5 years, no-one has ever said no (but then, I never actually asked them for permission either).
                Plan A is located just about here.
                If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

It's very dependent on the kind of work you're doing, stage of project, general pace of change and stuff like that. Even then some customers are well in favour and some aren't.

If you need to swing it, wait until it's blatently the obvious thing to do (e.g. you've got to write a big proposal), then make sure you do shed loads of work on the day. If you're on a day rate, even work some of the time you'd normally spend travelling. Send emails at 07:15 and 23:00 or something. Then they'll be more confident about your professionalism in future.

Alternatively, stop washing and wait till they suggest it.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
                    ... Send emails at 07:15 and 23:00 or something.....
                    Surely script emails to be sent at 07:15 or 23:00

Comment

Working...
                    X