• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britains Trillion Pound Horror - Channel 4

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Dimprawn and Sasguru put a few spare quid in the pot we could halve this deficit immediately!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Ah yes, but Gingerjedi "should be listened to" and you are only "mostly harmless" so I will reply to this one not yours.

Darn. I can't think of anything to say.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        If Dimprawn and Sasguru put a few spare quid in the pot we could halve this deficit immediately!
        Either that or they can have a fire sale of their sockies to half the deficit

Comment

****!

WE ARE ALL ******!!!!

Comment

For most of my adult life I've watched the decline of UK manufacturing and thought it's just wrong. Like a chair, if you cut the legs off the economy, you can't expect growth.

Makes me angry beyond belief.
            Last edited by scooterscot; 12 November 2010, 10:18.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I only caught the last half hour. Which economist's theories did HK build their economy on?

Comment

I started recording it after the first half hour or so. Did I miss much? (not seen it yet, but may tonight)

Comment

Trust me you don't want to see it - better stay ignorant ...

Comment

Its best to have a balanced view of such things, perhaps this article will help Times Higher Education - Daytime TV: Debts and honour
                    What works for hong kong will not necessarily work for the very different uk -its hardly a utopia anyway: Hong Kong's 'cage homes' reveal wealth gap

He conveniently skips over the banking bailout, dismissing it as insignificant -but the bailout was the result of deregulation.

Agressive deregulation in russia lead to an economic disaster that took a strongman like putin(there aren't many politicians like him in the uk) to sort out.

Comment

AtW, before you go and top yourself in despair, just remember this cloud has a silver lining.

In many ways huge government debt means more freedom from their interference, because they've largely literally spent themselves out of a job. There's only so much tax they can levy, and the more of that they must use for debt repayments the less they have for intrusive tyrannical "big brotherism" and social meddling.

It may sound a bit silly, but by analogy a hypothetical bare electron would be a very nasty beast. But being hidden behind a swarm of virtual particles, and emitting and reabsorbing 10^22 photons a second, you hardly notice it.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X