• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chirac he really gets on my goat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wonderwaif - you are right Chirac gets my goat as well!!

Comment

british food sucks indeed , thats why london is full of expensive foreign restaurants (japanese and such), or even common pizzerias or curry shops.

do i like fish and chips ? NO WAY

Comment

whose food?

chirac is right, British food is quite bad - the best restaurants in the world are allegedly in the UK but they do not serve british food
        t's not that simple. What is British food? "Traditional" stuff as you think you know it? Or real traditional British food: the highest-protein fish and game diet in Europe? Are new additions to the British menu "British Food"? The French don't hesitate there: if it's made by a French cook, it's French cuisine.

I eat in a French office canteen every day: it's just like I remember British school grub. Potatoes everywhere, green veg turned to a grey mush if you go along too late, dubious meat, often in a form that prevents you identifying either its provenance or its recent history. Oh yeah, the sauces are always good. Boeuf au camouflage.

And have you been invited to eat in many French people's homes? Most likely dinner (when they have guests) is a joint of rather mediocre meat cooked to anonymity in the pressure cooker, with overcooked green beans.

As contrasted with the "plat national" in a run-of-the-mill restaurant: steak so underdone it's still cold in the middle (that's medium; rare is where it may even recover without active treatment), with fries that resemble McDonalds' without the quality control, made mushy by the sauce made from boiling down the remaining bits of the cow that are guaranteed to have prions that you don't want.

Of course you don't have to eat like that in France all the time. you don't have to in Britain either. If you eat badly in Britain, it's mostly your own fault.

Comment

Re: whose food?

chirac is right, British food is quite bad - the best restaurants in the world are allegedly in the UK but they do not serve british food
          The best restaurants in the world are in the UK and they do serve British food. As you might expect, best in the world = very expensive, so if that statement is based on a trip to the local curry house or a Berni Inn, that is not a fair comparison. If you have been to the likes of the Fat Duck, the Michel Roux Water Side Inn, The Square, Gordon Ramsay, Jessica's, etc then I happily concede your point.

Comment

Not sure I agree with your conclusion. As you said, these restaurants are very expensive and therefore cater for a very small portion of the population. They might be shop windows for British food but they are not the whole shop.

I wonder if a study could be made as to what proportion of British households could cook up a decent meal for a guest - and compare that to French households, New Zealand etc. That would be a good indicator.

There is also the issue of ingredients quality. I like many things in British supermarkets but the chocolate (it's not chocolate, it's cream), the minced beef (disgusting) and tomatoes (no taste) for example are not nice.

Comment

This ideal of British food being awful is out of date. In today's culture we have so many different influences that any notion of national cuisine is largely redundant.

The choice of food available in London is almost identical to that on offer in New York, Madrid, Paris or Rio. We live in a globalised culture.

Comment

food

I wonder if a study could be made as to what proportion of British households could cook up a decent meal for a guest - and compare that to French households, New Zealand etc. That would be a good indicator.
                Indeed it would. And the French households would not turn out Haute Cuisine all the time.

There is also the issue of ingredients quality.
                Indeed there is. I would say that if anything, decent British food (neither the most expensive restaurants nor the worst junk) has nothing to be ashamed of here: quality of ingredients is one of the most important factors, whereas in normal French cooking, quality of presentation is most important.

Comment

Re: food

It's nothing to do with food, the French are all bastards, that's it.

Comment

Re: food

Bristish restaurants ?? :x

nobody wants to pay top ££££ to eat jellies :rollin

Comment

Chirac...

.... can somebody please wipe the smirk of his face. If there ever was a candidate for a smack in the face Chirac would be it.

Comment

Working...
                      X