• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good Lord!! Can this be true?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I never met anyone who made animal noises (in a spiritual context).

I can't remember precisely what Alpha teaches on speaking in tongues but the New Testament is pretty clear that Christianity involves a lot of supernatural stuff, which doesn't really tie in with "be nice to people" CofE.

SY01, if you've a real story to share please do, I have experienced this from both sides but now it's like a parent trying to relate to teenagers.

SB, don't you have better things to do than start wind-up threads? Have you been hurt by those professing faith in the past, that causes you to keep goading me?
    Sure. My memory is pretty sketchy, but in my "stint" as a Christian in an evangelical, "school hall" church I recall significant influence from the "pentecostal" movement. Very American, very intense, very difficult to digest.

I recall people:

Being slaine in the spirit
    Speaking in tongues
    Folks barking like dogs

Horse for courses, and speaking as the horse I needed a different course. Still looking though, been about 15 years
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Still looking though, been about 15 years
      At least now you are among friends!

woof woof.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

woof woof.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

goating
          P.S. As in "goat" the animal ...
          I can't believe you felt the need to explain that joke.

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Indeed. But it always gets called brainwashing if Scientology does it.

Actually that Alpha course sounds like more fun than I thought.
          You are equally at liberty to call it brainwashing if it means people actually realise Christianity is quite extreme. Of course I claim it's real in one case and cultish rubbish in another, but that's my viewpoint. Apathy is worse than persecution in many ways.

The thing with Alpha though is it exists only as a forum to get people talking. There shouldn't be pressure to convert, just watching a video on "what we think" and then chatting without the Christians telling people what the right answers are, but facilitating discussions. No question, they want people to "see the truth" but it is focused on letting people draw their conclusions, on the basis that "the truth" doesn't need us to trick people.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Sure. My memory is pretty sketchy, but in my "stint" as a Christian in an evangelical, "school hall" church I recall significant influence from the "pentecostal" movement. Very American, very intense, very difficult to digest.

I recall people:

Being slaine in the spirit
          Speaking in tongues
          Folks barking like dogs

Horse for courses, and speaking as the horse I needed a different course. Still looking though, been about 15 years
          Pentecostal is a reasonable background to think about Alpha, however generally a more restrained English version. Technically, "Charismatic" is the term we use although I don't know what Alpha identifies itself as.

Tongues and falling over (like on the God Channel only less cheesy) are relevant although different churches no doubt come at it from different angles. Also, spontaneous healings, etc. Basically, stuff from the book of Acts... which is short and action-packed as a story if you can get away from the fact "it's the bible".
          Last edited by d000hg; 1 November 2010, 23:43.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

woof woof.
            Ah..........the old ones are the best.................as Harold Shipman used to say!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Only a few do the "Alpha Course" but you can bet your bottom dollar that we're all going to do the "Omega" one...

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                Only a few do the "Alpha Course" but you can bet your bottom dollar that we're all going to do the "Omega" one...
                Or more likely God doesn't exist, we are alone in the universe when we die theres nothing. Which sounds like my current role.

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                  Or more likely God doesn't exist, we are alone in the universe when we die theres nothing. Which sounds like my current role.
                  What do you mean by God, exist, alone, die, universe, nothing? 42.

Comment

oinking, for crying out loud. I wonder if Jesus ever oinked ?

its just some old sow trotting out porkies if you want my pun, I mean opinion

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                      I thought you would have learned by now, dont leave it too late, get yourself covered

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X