• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Good Lord!! Can this be true?"

Collapse

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You generally get a free meal at an Alpha session. Quite a few are held in pubs but I don't think it's a free bar normally, or we'd see far more 'spiritual' outpourings.
    Amen!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You generally get a free meal at an Alpha session. Quite a few are held in pubs but I don't think it's a free bar normally, or we'd see far more 'spiritual' outpourings.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Doesn't sound dis-similar to some Consulting skills workshops, team building exercises and other some such b0ll0x that Ihave been on in my perm time.

But then again there isn't a fully expensed pi55-up at the end of the day, well not the last time I went to church there wasn't.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Boudica View Post
    the most sensible thing you've ever said
    Various people keep saying that for various posts.
    I must be very sensible indeed

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    What a load of complete drivel.
    Alpha course, scientology etc etc - panaceas for the moronic and weak-minded.

I like Christopher Hitchens who has just discovered he has cancer. "Why me?" he says and goes on to answer "...the cosmos barely bothers to answer - why not?". Now that's how it is. Nothing more, nothing less.
    the most sensible thing you've ever said

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I can't believe you felt the need to explain that joke.

You are equally at liberty to call it brainwashing if it means people actually realise Christianity is quite extreme. Of course I claim it's real in one case and cultish rubbish in another, but that's my viewpoint. Apathy is worse than persecution in many ways.

The thing with Alpha though is it exists only as a forum to get people talking. There shouldn't be pressure to convert, just watching a video on "what we think" and then chatting without the Christians telling people what the right answers are, but facilitating discussions. No question, they want people to "see the truth" but it is focused on letting people draw their conclusions, on the basis that "the truth" doesn't need us to trick people.

Pentecostal is a reasonable background to think about Alpha, however generally a more restrained English version. Technically, "Charismatic" is the term we use although I don't know what Alpha identifies itself as.

Tongues and falling over (like on the God Channel only less cheesy) are relevant although different churches no doubt come at it from different angles. Also, spontaneous healings, etc. Basically, stuff from the book of Acts... which is short and action-packed as a story if you can get away from the fact "it's the bible".
    What a load of complete drivel.
    Alpha course, scientology etc etc - panaceas for the moronic and weak-minded.

I like Christopher Hitchens who has just discovered he has cancer. "Why me?" he says and goes on to answer "...the cosmos barely bothers to answer - why not?". Now that's how it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied
    I used to like that little peppa pig character until i watched the cartoon, they snort as they speak.

disgusting.

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    And there's you been doing it for years without even realising.

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I thought you would have learned by now, dont leave it too late, get yourself covered

Ill wait till im standing before him then ask to join, I know there will be a charge.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    Or more likely God doesn't exist, we are alone in the universe when we die theres nothing. Which sounds like my current role.
    I thought you would have learned by now, dont leave it too late, get yourself covered

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    oinking, for crying out loud. I wonder if Jesus ever oinked ?

its just some old sow trotting out porkies if you want my pun, I mean opinion

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    Or more likely God doesn't exist, we are alone in the universe when we die theres nothing. Which sounds like my current role.
    What do you mean by God, exist, alone, die, universe, nothing? 42.

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Only a few do the "Alpha Course" but you can bet your bottom dollar that we're all going to do the "Omega" one...

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Only a few do the "Alpha Course" but you can bet your bottom dollar that we're all going to do the "Omega" one...

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    At least now you are among friends!

woof woof.
    Ah..........the old ones are the best.................as Harold Shipman used to say!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X