• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AA Rip-Off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kandr View Post
    The AA prey on people in the tulip, and royally screw them, I don't mind having to join, but why the £80 fee?
    How about you tried joining a medical insurance plan just after being diagnosed with cancer. You think they wouldn't charge more?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      These days, with less loyalty on both sides, things are likely different commercially.
      Loyalty seems very lost when it comes to renewals.

I got my renewal through and it was about £80 higher than a new customer. One quick call and I suggested that I will be leaving and starting a policy in the wifes names they decided to honour the cheaper price as a "good will gesture".

Same thing happened with Brtish Gas homecare

Comment

At the weekend, took the family to a halloween party in a remote part of the country, I realised I was running low on petrol, but the party was near a town with a petrol station (the only one for miles though).

To my horror the station was closed, and with my beemer reporting that it could only manage another 4-5 miles I was in trouble.

I called the AA which I am not a member and had to join for a year, which I though was OK, might come in useful and I go the most basic which was £69.

By the time the guy got to the end they had added another £80, which applies if you use the AA within the first 3 days!!!

The AA guy was out within the hour, but he also charged me for the 2 gallon of petrol (£14).

Feckers!
        Somehow I guessed you'd be a BMW driver.

Comment

At the weekend, took the family to a halloween party in a remote part of the country, I realised I was running low on petrol, but the party was near a town with a petrol station (the only one for miles though).

To my horror the station was closed, and with my beemer reporting that it could only manage another 4-5 miles I was in trouble.

I called the AA which I am not a member and had to join for a year, which I though was OK, might come in useful and I go the most basic which was £69.

By the time the guy got to the end they had added another £80, which applies if you use the AA within the first 3 days!!!

The AA guy was out within the hour, but he also charged me for the 2 gallon of petrol (£14).

Feckers!
          I take it you actually broke down?
          Cars often say you have X miles left, but in fact you often get a lot more out of it.

Some car breakdown insurance policies dont cover you for running out of fuel. This is more of a driver error than a genuine breakdown.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
            Somehow I guessed you'd be a BMW driver.
            Somehow I think he used this story to tell us he owns a BMW.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

If you guys think £140 for driving a few miles to give someone a can or two of petrol is not a rip off then, WTF next you'll be saying getting paid £400 a day for sitting posting on CUK is not a rip off......oh wait.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                Cars often say you have X miles left, but in fact you often get a lot more out of it.
                Typically 10 miles plus, if not more. Lucky for the AA, he called them to pay £100/litre.

Petrol cars you can drive until empty, don't diesels run into problems that way?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  Loyalty seems very lost when it comes to renewals.

I got my renewal through and it was about £80 higher than a new customer. One quick call and I suggested that I will be leaving and starting a policy in the wifes names they decided to honour the cheaper price as a "good will gesture".

Same thing happened with Brtish Gas homecare
                  That's because they've been the same business for some years now. Both are over-charging and under-delivering gits. I cannot imagine why people use either the AA or Gritish Gas, other than the FUD factor.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post

Some car breakdown insurance policies dont cover you for running out of fuel. This is more of a driver error than a genuine breakdown.
                    I didn't break down I made it to the party but knew that the closest station was 15-20 miles away, with no guarantee it would be open. Remember this is out in the country.

Ultimatley I only have my self to blame for not filling up before hand, but I feel like iv been taken advantage of.
                    Last edited by kandr; 1 November 2010, 11:04.

Comment

I didn't break down I made it to the party but knew that the closest station was 15-20 miles away.
                      You made it to the party but rather than ask someone for some fuel you joined the AA, effectively to pay someone to courier in a few litres? That's the contractor lifestyle... or everyone at the party decided they weren't really your friends and wouldn't help.

Comment

Working...
                      X