• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone healthy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    CBA = Can't/Couldn't be Arsed. I used to think school was a waste of my valuable time.

Your chat up lines need work. (OK, OK split the tax credits?)
    Only if the sex is good

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      I was just watching that programme on C5 "Life After Armageddon" tis all. Specifically the part when they said life expectancy would return to that of 200 years ago without medical treatment being available (mid 40s), and then a guy cut his hand that got infected. I was wondering how long most would survive in reality without modern medicine. Cuts infected, wtf. For sure diseases would wipe out people who don't need direct medical help in today's society, but I think a lot of people could have had a long life expectancy in those days, had they had a decent diet and not too taxing a life. 3 score and 10. Although I'm not sure, because both my brothers and sister have had things that might have prevented them from reaching the biblical figure.
      I watched that. Yes, infections can kill you but you'd have to be pretty unlucky - even then.

On reaerching my family history quite a few born in 1700's made it to a decent age.The oldest discovered so far was 92 (think she was born 1766, from memory) and she wasn't from a wealthy family.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        I watched that. Yes, infections can kill you but you'd have to be pretty unlucky - even then.

On reaerching my family history quite a few born in 1700's made it to a decent age.The oldest discovered so far was 92 (think she was born 1766, from memory) and she wasn't from a wealthy family.
        Oh, that's worth looking into. I got briefly interested in the family tree when one of my relatives turned up with one. I uploaded his research onto genesreunited and then got bored. I never did pay for the subscription with them but I get regular messages from genesreunited saying someone wants to communicate and see the tree. I let them see the tree but could never be bothered to join to read messages. Anyway, I'll have a look at the tree for longevity. I have a feeling they were oldies when they croaked.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Oh, that's worth looking into. I got briefly interested in the family tree when one of my relatives turned up with one. I uploaded his research onto genesreunited and then got bored. I never did pay for the subscription with them but I get regular messages from genesreunited saying someone wants to communicate and see the tree. I let them see the tree but could never be bothered to join to read messages. Anyway, I'll have a look at the tree for longevity. I have a feeling they were oldies when they croaked.
          Aye some of these sites are a bit overpriced.

Anyhoo, am off to bed and will think of me g.g. grandfather who snuffed it as the result of a fight outside a pub in London. Blood will out eh?
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I've had a few visits to A&E over the years, but they don't really count. Some moron punching you in the face as you try to break up a fight in a pub isn't ill-health, although it's a good reminder of why the licensed trade isn't as wonderful a line of work as some people think.

My parents got a phone call the other week from their local GP surgery wondering whether, given that I hadn't been to see them in nearly thirty years, they should take me off the books. My mother (carefully concealing the fact that I haven't lived there in all that time) explained that I just don't get ill, but told them to leave me on their list just in case.

Given that this practice is over an hour's drive from where I actually live, I've wondered whether to transfer myself to somewhere local in case I suddenly fall apart at the seams. There's a GP surgery next door to me, but on reflection it feels like I'd be tempting fate, so I'm sticking with the place I haven't seen in years for now

Comment

Is this thread leading us to believe that some of you have never taken a day sick? No colds? No flu? Chicken pox? Measles? Mumps? Migraines? Hangovers? Had your tonsils out? Broken a bone?

I find this very difficult to believe.

I class myself as fairly fit but still get ill/under the weather and to be honest I'm quite happy to take a day off sick every now and then to chill out.

Is being sick, now the new
              tax evasion????
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Some mornings I think the bananas in my fruit bowl will last longer than me. Can't remember the last time I didn't feel wiped out / knackered. Little in the way of proper illness - the usual things MF mentions. Used to have occasional sickies - haven't since I started contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Is this thread leading us to believe that some of you have never taken a day sick? No colds? No flu? Chicken pox? Measles? Mumps? Migraines? Hangovers? Had your tonsils out? Broken a bone?

I find this very difficult to believe.

I class myself as fairly fit but still get ill/under the weather and to be honest I'm quite happy to take a day off sick every now and then to chill out.

Is being sick, now the new
                  tax evasion????
                  I get things like colds and I've had flu a couple of times. Colds don't prevent you getting on with stuff, although flu usually does. Flu is actually quite uncommon, but the English have a habit of referring to colds as flu.

An EC survey some years ago showed that the UK has the highest reported incidence of flu in Europe, simply because the inhabitants of other nations correctly identify the common cold as not being flu. The same survey also showed that the French report the highest incidence of haemorrhoids in Europe, but didn't consider the probable explanation that this is due to them being so far up their own arses

I've had food poisoning a few times, but always due to my own carelessness in the kitchen, never a takeaway or restaurant meal

Anyway, the simple fact is that your GP can't do a damn thing about colds or flu once you've got them, and if your food poisoning doesn't require hospitalisation then you needn't bother them about that either: give it a day or two and you'll be over it. I would guesstimate that about 70% of the things people go to their GPs about are not susceptible of any meaningful treatment, yet still they go, and then complain about how long they have to wait before getting their chance to waste the doctor's time

Comment

I have worked for two bosses who swore they have never had a day off sick. My father is a third such person.

But both those bosses were off sick while I worked for them (both for mundane things like 'flu) and my Dad was off sick 6 weeks with a slipped disc and a while when his diabetes was diagnosed and a few times in the winter with 'flu.

I firmly and sincerely believe that all people who say they have never had a day of sick are simply deluding themselves, or cheating by reclassifying everything.

Saying "I don't get diseases to the point where I stay off work" is not the same as "I have never failed to attend work through human frailty".
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I've done 11 months on this project and not had a day off due to laziness, ill-health or drunken debauchery.

Pity I won't make it to 12 months...

Comment

Working...
                      X