• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory spat over Cameron's plan to purge Central London of poor people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    And extend that to mortgage payers, seeing as they don't normally require assistance it would be the right thing to do.
    I totally agree with you. But since when have Governments ever done something because it was right, at least for anyone but themselves?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      No I think he's bitter because he works to pay his rent rather than sit at home and expect others to do it for him.
      I am not bitter about having to work to pay rent, what I am bitter about is that ****ing politicians argue about obvious things like High Speed rail to Birmingham and other cities that would cost something like £20 bln over 10 years where as similar amount of money is wasted every couple of years on housing benefit alone.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
        Bill for housing benefit has apparently gone up from £14bn (already huge amount) to £21,000,000,000 in 10 years.
        Nice way to present the data in a misleading way by adding lots of extra zeros.

£14bm -> £21bn is a 50% increase, over 10 years that's a year-on-year increase factor of . Otherwise known as 4% a year. Which is really not much more than inflation.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Otherwise known as 4% a year. Which is really not much more than inflation.
          Did science/research budgets increase by 50% in the corresponding periods? Even at £14 bln it's too ****** high - whole of UK transport gets £10 bln, culture - £5 bln ffs. For this sort of money it makes sense to build lots of houses BUT not in expensive London.

Comment

What's wrong with this story?

£80,000 a year and no chance of mortgage

Katie Buckett, 26, and her engineer boyfriend Matt Hancock have been unable to secure a mortgage in London despite a combined income of £80,000. They are renting a one-bedroom flat in Battersea, cutting down on luxuries in an effort to get a foot on the housing ladder.

She said: "We looked into getting a mortgage and I spoke to my bank, but they just laughed and said I don't have a chance at the moment.

"It's a no-win situation. Rent costs a lot of money that we could be saving, but we're really trying to cut back."

The couple' rent is £1,200 a month, with bills adding £330. The ubiquitous student loan costs £350 and other loans a further £400.

They typically save £760 a month, and they have now made further lifestyle cuts including food bills. "I don't know how long it can continue," Katie said. "I could be 30 and still not have my own place. It's ridiculous."
            Who feels sorry for these people? They make me think of the kind of people that walk into Harry Enfield's shop "I saw you coming"

Here's a few radical ideas:

1. Move out of Battersea to somewhere where your rent is half of what is is now - I know a 1.5/2 hour commute into work is tough but...

2. Stop trying to save up £760/month with loan repayments of £750/month to make. Those loan repayments might have something to do with the bank laughing at your mortgage applications. Pay off the loans then start saving.

3. Cut down on more luxuries - if you're earning £80k and only putting £760 away WTF do you expect?

"I could be 30 and still not have my own place. It's ridiculous.".....
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Nice way to present the data in a misleading way by adding lots of extra zeros.

£14bm -> £21bn is a 50% increase, over 10 years that's a year-on-year increase factor of . Otherwise known as 4% a year. Which is really not much more than inflation.
              It's still a sh|tload of of money whatever way you present it. I'm all for offering help to those that need it. I'm not for offering cash handouts to those who see working the benefits system as a lifestyle choice
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Did science/research budgets increase by 50% in the corresponding periods? Even at £14 bln it's too ****** high - whole of UK transport gets £10 bln, culture - £5 bln ffs. For this sort of money it makes sense to build lots of houses BUT not in expensive London.
                Not debating if it's too much or a large amount. Only pointing out that from £14 -> 21bn in a decade isn't anything shocking. It's the fact it was £14bn to start with that is the problem, not how it's (barely) grown.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  [URL="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23892352-pound-80000-a-year-and-no-chance-of-mortgage.do"]
                  Here's a few radical ideas:

1. Move out of Battersea to somewhere where your rent is half of what is is now - I know a 1.5/2 hour commute into work is tough but...
                  I read this in the paper and felt rage too. They hardly need to move 1.5/2hrs away... it's 1 bed flat! Jesus you can just cross the river to Putney and save about a third...

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Let's get some perspective here. Your total is £26K a year untaxed, the equivalent of a salary of over £30K.
                  From thesalarycalculator.co.uk, based on comparing to a worker who's put themselves through university:

Yearly
                  Gross Income £37,834.65
                  Taxable Income £31,359.65
                  Tax £6,271.93
                  National Insurance £3,533.16
                  Student Loan £2,055.12
                  Take Home £25,974.44
                  It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

from £14 -> 21bn in a decade isn't anything shocking.
                    Did average salary go up in the same time by 50%???!?! £14 bln is shocking, and having it to up to £21 bln is totally crazy - that's like what extra 2.5% VAT should collect - nearly half of corporation tax revenues this figure is, ffs - if UK dropped Corp Tax to 12-14% (half of current and near future figure) then it would have resulted in massive flow of investment.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Did average salary go up in the same time by 50%???!?!
                      This data is proving hard to find, I thought a graph would be easily found via Google. Anyone? I found this which says 13% rise from 1999 to 2009, but I thought 23k was the average now.

£14 bln is shocking, and having it to up to £21 bln is totally crazy
                      Learn the difference between absolute and relative growth. If we were paying £1trillion, even a 1% growth would be £10billion but it wouldn't be a big increase.
                      Last edited by d000hg; 29 October 2010, 15:08.

Comment

Working...
                      X