• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fascinating and useful fact thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever since we standardised on time across the country, trains running East to West have to run slower than trains running West to East to compensate for the time difference.

Trains running North-South and South-North are, of course, unaffected.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

The obelisk commemorating the Great Fire of London in Pudding Lane is constructed such that at mid-day on the anniversary of the fire, if you follow the shadow from its tip ("T'was shurly ye hotest Playce on ye Planette as ledd ran as do mine owne Waters" - Christopher Wren's diary - written on the plaque on the obelisk's base) to the monument and carry on, it points at what was believed at the time to be the coldest place on Earth: the South Pole.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        A tardigrade is almost indestructible. It can be frozen, dried, irradiated and boiled and survive deep vacuum and come out laughing.
        A retrograde is a 1960s tardigrade.

Comment

It weren't Barry the Spanner what done that post office in Beckenham, because Barry was up in Reigate with a mark see. It were Cyprus Chris what done it, though it were probably Barry what gave him the nod about the cash drop.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Not so... everyone knows trains and cars travel faster heading South as it is all downhill

HTH
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              Ever since we standardised on time across the country, trains running East to West have to run slower than trains running West to East to compensate for the time difference.

Trains probably run fastest running in a heading slightly off due east along the equator, because they get a Coriolis boost both tangent to the surface in that easterly direction and radially away from the centre of the earth, thus making them lighter too. Boomed. Not sure if this maximises the effect though (of course the force is maximum at the poles, but there it works against you).

Comment

Almost all trains in Britain are made in Germany at the vast Deutsche München Überbahn (DMU) works. Being in the old East Germany, these made all the rolling stock for the Soviet Union. Because they are not made to EU standards, that cannot be delivered by rail across the continent and have to be transported on low-loaders to the UK, which is why you sometimes see trains on lorries on the motorway.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Trains probably run fastest running in a heading slightly off due east along the equator, because they get a Coriolis boost both tangent to the surface in that easterly direction and radially away from the centre of the earth, thus making them lighter too. Boomed. Not sure if this maximises the effect though (of course the force is maximum at the poles, but there it works against you).
                  In theory maybe. In practice, have you ever seen how fast an equatorial train goes?
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

steam trains didnt run on steam pressure. thats a common misunderstanding.

steam trains run on atmospheric pressure

FACT

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                      Not so... everyone knows trains and cars travel faster heading South as it is all downhill

HTH
                      What about in Australia? Do they go faster going North?

Comment

Working...
                      X