• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I suggest a simple solution for IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although they still get proportionately less on any amount over the threshold. Incentive destroying enough in itself.

But tax and NI are only a small part of the taxes we pay, it's not just the obvious indirect taxes like VAT and fuel duty and on savings, we also pay for all the business taxes and red tape, like maternity pay, corporation tax etc that is passed on to us via prices. The wasteful state costs us all unless we are part of it.

Society has actually changed less than we think since the days of kings and the robber barons, we just have different names and justifications.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Although they still get proportionately less on any amount over the threshold. Incentive destroying enough in itself.

But tax and NI are only a small part of the taxes we pay, it's not just the obvious indirect taxes like VAT and fuel duty and on savings, we also pay for all the business taxes and red tape, like maternity pay, corporation tax etc that is passed on to us via prices. The wasteful state costs us all unless we are part of it.

Society has actually changed less than we think since the days of kings and the robber barons, we just have different
      names and justifications.
      What I really object to is paying tax on tax. For example, VAT on top of the price of petrol that already has a duty applied to it!

F**kers!

Just bought £30 worth of petrol - 25.02 litres.

The VAT element was £4.47

The fuel duty is 57.19p per litre - £14.30 in fuel duty

So in reality I've paid £18.77 tax out of that £30.

Double f*ckers!
      Last edited by SupremeSpod; 28 October 2010, 11:47.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
        What I really object to is paying tax on tax. For example, VAT on top of the price of petrol that already has a duty applied to it!

F**kers!

Just bought £30 worth of petrol - 25.02 litres.

The VAT element was £4.47

The fuel duty is 57.19p per litre - £14.30 in fuel duty

So in reality I've paid £18.77 tax out of that £30.

Double f*ckers!
        Indeed -- I always wonder how they will replace that amount of revenue when the oil runs out or when we all have battery cars or go back to horses.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
          I think that's the truth. I still get permie friends who say they don't want to earn over the higher rate band of 37k because they think they'll get taxed at 40% on all their earnings

I'd love to see the removal of employers NI, and just have one tax for employees (they'd obviously have to get paid more). The actually payment of employers/employees NI and PAYE is given to HMRC in one transaction, so they don't have a clue how it's divided up (until they get the yearly P35's etc).

The problem is people would suddenly realise they're being taxed a huge amount and start rioting.
          Permies are funny! Bless em

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            And NI was 5.5%.
            A lot of old people were "conveniently" killed in the war, so less money were needed, now the baby boomers are about to retire so more money is needed, or WW3

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              A lot of old people were "conveniently" killed in the war, so less money were needed, now the baby boomers are about to retire so more money is needed, or WW3
              You offensive little twat. Today of all days too.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Today marks the start of the 2010 "Poppy Appeal".

The Poppy Appeal - The Poppy Appeal

"The History of the East Lancashire Regiment in the Great War" records that out of some 720 Accrington Pals who took part in the attack, 584 were killed, wounded or missing.
                  "The result of the H.E. shells, shrapnel, machine-gun and rifle fire was such that hardly any of our men reached the German front trench. The lines which advanced in such admirable order, melted away under fire; yet not a man wavered, broke the ranks or attempted to go back. I have never seen, indeed could never have imagined such a magnificent display of gallantry, discipline and determination." (Brigadier-General H. C. Rees, GOC of 94th Brigade.)
                  On the first day of the Battle of the Somme, significant inroads into the German positions were made only where the terrain was less favourable to the defenders nearer the Somme river. British casualties on this day alone totalled 60,000.

Comment

And still no IR35 solution - It's simple, 20% allowance for expenses instead of 5% and we cough for the rest.
                    Permie benefits, sick, hols, redundancy, pension etc etc have to be worth 30-40% on top of actual salary so we are being generous just taking 20 - NEXT !

Comment

Today marks the start of the 2010 "Poppy Appeal".

The Poppy Appeal - The Poppy Appeal

"The History of the East Lancashire Regiment in the Great War" records that out of some 720 Accrington Pals who took part in the attack, 584 were killed, wounded or missing.
                      "The result of the H.E. shells, shrapnel, machine-gun and rifle fire was such that hardly any of our men reached the German front trench. The lines which advanced in such admirable order, melted away under fire; yet not a man wavered, broke the ranks or attempted to go back. I have never seen, indeed could never have imagined such a magnificent display of gallantry, discipline and determination." (Brigadier-General H. C. Rees, GOC of 94th Brigade.)
                      On the first day of the Battle of the Somme, significant inroads into the German positions were made only where the terrain was less favourable to the defenders nearer the Somme river. British casualties on this day alone totalled 60,000.
                      Not really a day people regard as sacred though. Maybe 11th of next month.

Comment

Working...
                      X