• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trick or Treat?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    All this vicious chav mob, egging, dog poo through the letterbox must be a Southern thing.
    And Leeds.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Ah well, Beannachtai na Oiche Shamhan Gach dhuine

Happy new year
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        And Leeds.
        And the (real) north-east. I think anywhere poor is like this.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Some years children come to the door guising. With the americanisation of UK and there being a lot of roman catholics in a nearby estate there have been trick-or-treaters going round the doors in recent years, so I dont answer the door to them.

What is it with the recent trend for pumpkins anyway, the children that observed halloween used to use neeps when I was young.
          Last edited by Aman; 1 November 2010, 04:18.

Comment

Where I grew up in the South/South West we marked Halloween with hollowed-out pumpkins and apple bobbing but there was never any trick-or-treating.

We never had any trick-or-treating in the part of London we lived in. All the local kids were Muslim so I am not sure whether they would be likely to get involved.

They do the trick-or-treating in New Zealand though. Last year we were living in the wild west and there were loads of them. I am not sure that they would really have gone through with any tricks though, and some of them just wished us Happy Halloween rather than anything else. One big bag of cheap and nasty sweets bought for about £2 was perfectly adequate supply for the night.

This year I am living in a better area. We didn't get any knocks on the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman View Post
              What is it with the recent trend for pumpkins anyway, the children that observed halloween used to use neeps when I was young.
              Pumpkins were de rigeur when I was a tot, more than 20 years ago. Much bigger and easier to carve than a turnip.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Neither my mother nor my wife's mother - because of their upbringing (one in a Yorkshire mill town and the other in a Welsh mining town) - would ever have countenanced such a waste of food.

We can both recall seeing it being done on Blue Peter but neither of us have first hand experience of carving lanterns out of any vegetable.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Neither my mother nor my wife's mother - because of their upbringing (one in a Yorkshire mill town and the other in a Welsh mining town) - would ever have countenanced such a waste of food.

We can both recall seeing it being done on Blue Peter but neither of us have first hand experience of carving lanterns out of any vegetable.
                  You don't waste food. The contents make soup(which I hate but the kids will having pumpkin soup for weeks). You don't eat the rest.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I never had any inclination to make one of these things for the kids. It does remind me of the old American teen joke - The police catch a spotty youth in the pumpkin patch, where he has made a hole in a pumpin and he is boning it vigorously. The police call him a pervert and he looks down and shouts, 'heck, is it midnight already?'

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Aman View Post
                      Some years children come to the door guising. With the americanisation of UK and there being a lot of roman catholics in a nearby estate there have been trick-or-treaters going round the doors in recent years, so I dont answer the door to them.

WTF does their religion have to do with anything??

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X