• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poll - Have you ever been on the dole?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    No I didn't (and I don't believe it - I didn't have to be a good motor racing commentator to know Murray Walker was useless). You inferred it - that's your lookout, not mine. I simply became curious. My opinions about benefits are a product of my experiences but I didn't (and don't) say that makes them any more or less valid; I was led to wonder how many of us on here had claimed the dole. That is all.
    I agree PSB. You dont have to have been to the moon to be qualified to write science fiction, but if you have been to the moon you would write it differently(probably). It's called an informed opinion. Some people also have wisdom, and this shows through in their opinions.

Some people dont have informed opinion or wisdom, they are usually blowhard, drum banging fools, who are not very pleasant people. It's best to avoid them.

In my opinion.
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Some people don't have informed opinion or wisdom, they are usually blowhard, drum banging fools, who are not very pleasant people. It's best to avoid them.
      Sadly, they are also the ones who speak with the most conviction and confidence, principally because they are the least aware of their own incompetence.

It is the curse of humanity living in large societies that we are doomed to allow ourselves to be led by the ignorant and the foolish.

"Pick up a weapon and follow me, for the others worship Mr Blobby but I tell you Timmy Mallett is the One True God and he told me he wants to us to kill all the blasphemers."

"Off you go dear, better do what the nice man says. After all, he has such nice hair."

"Our Leader says we must vanquish the Blobbyites. You must emulate our Leader - take one of these inflatable mallets with you and the enemy will fall at your feet."

"Ooh, it is nice to have someone who knows what to do. Do what the nice man says and leave your sword and shield here. After all, I saw him kiss a baby in the street on Tuesday. Such a nice man."

"But mother, why are there no adult men alive in our family?"

"I've no idea honey. Now run along and get on the cart or you'll miss the Great Crusade, and we wouldn't want that now, would we? It might upset our Leader."
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

"It is the curse of humanity living in large societies that we are doomed to allow ourselves to be led by the ignorant and the foolish."

Or to put in another way -

Two things are infinite : the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Albert Einstein

Comment

I left Polytechnic and immediately got a programming job.

The only time I have been "unemployed" was early 2007 for 3 months, by choice after leaving my last perm role and I had a reasonable war chest to back me up for 8 months if needed.

Started contracting May 2007 and never loooked back.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

When I stuffed my A levels for the second time I did a three month Manpower Services TOPS Computer Programming course. Whilst on that course I received Supplementary Benefit (as it was called then) of £23 per week. Once I'd finished the course though I went temping for a few months until my first IT job came along.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Once after being made redundant as a permie, the crap you got from the staff at the dole office was enough to put me off ever going back into one.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I had 9 months after university in 1992.

And I nearly went to sign on again at the start of this year, but then started getting enough money through from the Plan B to pay myself minimum wage for a few months, before getting a gig again in May. I probably should have just signed on as soon as my previous contract finished.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  I agree PSB. You dont have to have been to the moon to be qualified to write science fiction, but if you have been to the moon you would write it differently(probably). It's called an informed opinion. Some people also have wisdom, and this shows through in their opinions.

Some people dont have informed opinion or wisdom, they are usually blowhard, drum banging fools, who are not very pleasant people. It's best to avoid them.

In my opinion.
                  So all the best sci-fi authors have been to the moon then? To become "informed"? Glad we cleared that up.
                  That must really have impressed you EO. Is that why you keep barking at it?
                  Your tosh output seems to have reached epidemic levels. Perhaps your logic configs got corrupted when you last activated your flounce programmes?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    started getting enough money through from the Plan B to pay myself minimum wage for a few months
                    Sorry if we already covered this, but what is your plan B? Is it still going?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Never. Was unemployed for three weeks when I was 22 when I quit a dull job and moved city. Never been out of work in the ten years since then.

Quite a scary thought really. Longest consecutive time off I've had has been 3 weeks. Once for a holiday. Once for gardening leave.

I think once you get a bit in the bank you are never really going to get any means tested benefit. Maybe I'll get the contributions based allowance one day. Hopefully not.

Although I've certainly spent months living on less than 60 quid a week just out of tightness.

Comment

Working...
                      X