• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poll - Have you ever been on the dole?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    You implied, in both your offerings, that anyone that does not have personal experience of something cannot somehow have as valid an opinion about it. Your assumption was wrong. I highlighted that fact. That was my point.
    No I didn't (and I don't believe it - I didn't have to be a good motor racing commentator to know Murray Walker was useless). You inferred it - that's your lookout, not mine. I simply became curious. My opinions about benefits are a product of my experiences but I didn't (and don't) say that makes them any more or less valid; I was led to wonder how many of us on here had claimed the dole. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      No I didn't (and I don't believe it - I didn't have to be a good motor racing commentator to know Murray Walker was useless). You inferred it - that's your lookout, not mine. I simply became curious. My opinions about benefits are a product of my experiences but I didn't (and don't) say that makes them any more or less valid; I was led to wonder how many of us on here had claimed the dole. That is all.
      The derisory tone of your initial "benefits reform experts" suggested otherwise to me.
      No matter. Onto more weighty matters....................Murray Walker Useless????? Are you bonkers?? The man was a Legend!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

The derisory tone of your initial "benefits reform experts" suggested otherwise to me.
        No matter. Onto more weighty matters....................Murray Walker Useless????? Are you bonkers?? The man was a Legend!!

You are right - I was being derisory about the thinktank on here about benefit reforms, but you have incorrectly extrapolated that to thinking I only applied the derisory tone to those without a history of dole claims In fact most of the proposals seemed pretty crazy to me.
        Murray Walker - useless - some people seem to think that being an inarticulate ranting idiot with almost no idea what is actually happening is part of some kind of British tradition that needs to be honoured in some way. Then again...

Comment

Murray Walker - useless - some people seem to think that being an inarticulate ranting idiot with almost no idea what is actually happening is part of some kind of British tradition that needs to be honoured in some way. Then again...
          I agree actually. Anyone who can get that excited about a bunch of souped-up plastic go-karts endlessly going round in circles has to be barking. A drearier "sport" it is impossible to imagine.
          And just why they insist upon putting it on Radio 5 Live is beyond all comprehension. They might as well commentate upon bees swarming.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I agree actually. Anyone who can get that excited about a bunch of souped-up plastic go-karts endlessly going round in circles has to be barking. A drearier "sport" it is impossible to imagine.
            And just why they insist upon putting it on Radio 5 Live is beyond all comprehension. They might as well commentate upon bees swarming.
            WHS

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Oh it's getting bad on here when a standard AndyW option is dissed.
              No, he's right; it was very lame. Some of the Andy W options are pretty witty, mine certainly wasn't.

Comment

No, he's right; it was very lame. Some of the Andy W options are pretty witty, mine certainly wasn't.
                AndyW provides me with a bed for the night and all the protein I need.

HTH

Comment

On the dole under Thatcher for eight months, out of work under Major and Blair (twice) for a couple of months each.

Never under Callaghan or Brown, so on that basis they must be the best prime ministers that we've had in my working life.

Comment

How did we get onto F1? It's Nascar they just do circles.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I was only on the dole (twice) under a Labour government.
                      Even though I could have survived the second time without, it was my duty to register and associate my unemployed status against Gordon Browns innings as prime minister

Comment

Working...
                      X