• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reporting project slippage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I once advised a CIO who was wondering where all the time disappeared to measure how much time his people were spending on reporting time for 40 different activities in each project (some were working on 5 or 6 projects at a time), plus timesheets, plus time in the HR system. He then got someone to do the measuring, and discovered his division was spending over 2 million euros per year out of a total personnel budget of about 15 million on time reporting. Needless to say, there was a cull of time reporting systems and Project Management systems.
    We're in full self loving mode today aren't we Mitch
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Princess Leia "The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers"

Grand Moff Tarkin "Oh Bollox"

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        We're in full self loving mode today aren't we Mitch
        Oh yes, I've just been booked for an insultancy job when this one's done on 6 weeks time; advising a Dutch insurance company that's outsourced all the testing to Bobland and is suffering some disappointment at the results. I wonder how I can help them????
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Once worked for a SAP consultancy that internally implemented SAP HR with timewriting.

At the end of the year they noticed that none of the SAP HR consultants had produced any billable work and so binned almost the whole team.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Once worked for a SAP consultancy that internally implemented SAP HR with timewriting.

At the end of the year they noticed that none of the SAP HR consultants had produced any billable work and so binned almost the whole team.
            I bet they'd earned a packet by then though.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              In your example, the project hasn't slipped. Requirements have changed.
              You look stupid for not understanding that a change in requirements could introduce slippage.
              Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              Requirements have changed. All bets are off. Delivery has to be rescheduled. That is not slippage.
              Doesn't always work like that young spod (where's the patronising pat on the head smiley?)
              If you're responsible SY, and you allowed requirements to change mid-development without at least trying to get the schedule updated, or sending emails warning of missing deadlines specifically due to the scope creep, then blame sticks to you. Not that it might have done any good of course.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                If you're responsible SY, and you allowed requirements to change mid-development without at least trying to get the schedule updated, or sending emails warning of missing deadlines specifically due to the scope creep, then blame sticks to you. Not that it might have done any good of course.
                Nah, nuffink to do with me mate

Just stating an observation about the use of language.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Nah, nuffink to do with me mate

Just stating an observation about the use of language.
                  I've heard that one bandied about for ages, as well as all other manner of balls which basically means the same thing.
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    advising a Dutch insurance company that's outsourced all the testing to Bobland and is suffering some disappointment at the results. I wonder how I can help them????
                    This project is going through a similar pain ... discreetly trying to find out who advocated it as a good idea- the amount of effort to replan and recover is staggering

It's not alone - everywhere I've worked at in the last decade has had the same outsourced problems happen - yet still companies do it

The latest wheeze seems to be to bring in Contractors to define and implement "how to ensure quality from offshore partners" type processes and procedures.

Not sure you can polish a turd
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X