• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London to Paris by cycle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    I can't believe that people think London's a dump. It's absolutely stunning at the moment. A properly revived city. I've spent quite a lot of time in both Paris and London this year and, like I said, I have absolutely no doubt about which direction I'd want to be riding in.
    It's a great city to visit, or to live in if you are young, care free and affluent and can afford to enjoy all it has to offer and throw money at dealing with day to day hassles, but for day to day life as an ordinary person it is a bit of a tuliphole, actually.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      booooooo!

but you could find a pub with wifi and do it there
      Definitely worth consideration!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

Forget high speed trains linking Paris to London, we now have a cycle track. It's a bit wet in the middle and gets steadily worse in England though, as Englanders don't understand cycling. It would also be jolly expensive if you hired one of Boris Johnson's bikes for the trip.

BBC News - The London-Paris cycle route that keeps getting you lost
        Been there, done that back in the 70s - London, Newhaven, Dieppe, Rouen, Versailles, ..

(Then on to Fontainebleau, Corbeil-Essonnes, Nemours, Montargis, Nevers, Moulins, Macon, at which point I decided the bike and I were both too knackered to go on and hopped on the train for the rest of the way to southern Italy. )

It would be great to try it again, although the traffic is probably worse these days, and I'd most likely flake out after the first day.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Been there, done that back in the 70s - London, Newhaven, Dieppe, Rouen, Versailles, ..

(Then on to Fontainebleau, Corbeil-Essonnes, Nemours, Montargis, Nevers, Moulins, Macon, at which point I decided the bike and I were both too knackered to go on and hopped on the train for the rest of the way to southern Italy. )

It would be great to try it again, although the traffic is probably worse these days, and I'd most likely flake out after the first day.
          The Avenue Verte route is mostly traffic free - or that's the idea! Can't help with the flaking out though...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

My bike got nicked a month ago so I won't be doing it. That's my excuse anyway. I did once cycle down the east coast of Malaysia and parts of Thailand, and after carrying it around half the world to bring it back that bike got promptly nicked too. It was only a cheap second-hand jobbie.

When I moved recently, I had 2 bikes, and wanted to get rid of the racing bike I had bought for £14 from auction. So I left it leaning against some railings in a park unlocked, as I was interested in seeing whether it would last until dusk, after which it would certainly disappear. It was gone when I checked it only 2 hours later. And yet in Europe you see vast forests of bikes left out in the open over night, which in Britain would be unthinkable.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              And yet in Europe you see vast forests of bikes left out in the open over night, which in Britain would be unthinkable.
              To be fair, I left my rather nice MTB chained up in a metal cage outside my building in super-safe Bavaria and some ****er had it away. So it's not all roses.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Well, we made it. Most of the route was great, but las twenty miles or so a nightmare - long sections of the Seine towpath were closed, which meant putting ourselves at the mercy of Paris rush-hour traffic. But on the whole, a good trip - total 260 miles.
                Got a couple of days in Paris now to recuperate.

Comment

Well done
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                    Well, we made it. Most of the route was great, but las twenty miles or so a nightmare - long sections of the Seine towpath were closed, which meant putting ourselves at the mercy of Paris rush-hour traffic. But on the whole, a good trip - total 260 miles.
                    Got a couple of days in Paris now to recuperate.
                    Congrats
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Great news. Well done on the ride. I have this kind of thing lined up for when the children have moved out and I can just take a credit card and disappear for a couple of weeks. So many fantastic cycle routes across Europe (including the UK), but you need time and independence to really have fun.

Comment

Working...
                      X