• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why there will be no real recovery from this recession

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    As in all things, if you reduce the price then it would boost demand. It works for labour in the same way it works for spuds and televisions.
    Ummmm, how many spuds can one person eat and how many tellies can he watch?

Same for labour; up to a point you're right; cheaper labour might lead to some jobs being created, but at some stage you reach saturation and there's nothing much left for all that labour to do. I suppose they could be paid to polish the concrete lions on the driveway gateposts of Dimprawn´s mock tudor Barratt mansion.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I suspect a lot of problems that are building up have been cloaked by a rising population, especially recently, not least in inflating the money supply without immediate ill effect. But at some stage the population must stabilise or reduce and then all those chickens are coming home to roost.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        I suppose they could be paid to polish the concrete lions on the driveway gateposts of Dimprawn´s mock tudor Barratt mansion.
        Reproduction, not mock!

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          The problem is just too many people. If everybody only had one child, problem solved.
          Yes, that worked great in China.

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Euthenasia.........voluntary or otherwise. Has to happen. You heard it here first.
          Thanks for the sacrifice SB, leading from the front. I can't think of a better person to exemplify the need for mass culling of society's least useful demographic.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Depressing but main post almost certainly right. Rising population, diminishing resources of all types especially fuel. A major problem at the moment is the growth of China and the fuel inefficiency of its industries. According to an article I can't find at the mo their fuel requirements are several times ours.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Depressing but main post almost certainly right. Rising population, diminishing resources of all types especially fuel. A major problem at the moment is the growth of China and the fuel inefficiency of its industries. According to an article I can't find at the mo their fuel requirements are several times ours.
              Perhaps Europe could sell them coal?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                As in all things, if you reduce the price then it would boost demand. It works for labour in the same way it works for spuds and televisions.
                Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Ummmm, how many spuds can one person eat and how many tellies can he watch?
                There is a limit to the amount of spuds one person can eat but if they are cheaper then a person that could not previously afford them can now buy them.

Similarly with televisions. Also with consumer goods cheaper prices mean that upgrading is more affordable. How often do we buy a new television now compared with our Grandparents' generation?

Comment

Working...
                X