• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do papers make out its sad news when the most expensive thing you'll ever buy ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ItsQuickerAntiClockwise View Post
    Ahh yes, when you can't find a flaw in someone's argument, just call them a troll. Then you win!
    yes you are are a tit ... tell me, when is the property boom at its highest and lowest levels? If you could tell me that, then you would be here. Personally I don't give a tulip cos I bought and paid for my house. Now run along sasjunior.

Comment

I have some sympathy for people who felt that they had to buy or get left behind and are now up against it (although I still think they should have thought twice), but I have none for the folks who got lucky by buying at the start of the boom and then remortgaged to extract equity to use as deposit for a buy-to-let and then repeated that several times until they had £1 million worth of property and £980k in loans.

It's the inevitable interest rate rises that will bring the real problems.
      Last edited by doodab; 27 September 2010, 15:09.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        ... I have none for the folks who got lucky by buying at the start of the boom and then remortgaged to extract equity to use as deposit for a buy-to-let and then repeated that several times until they had £1 million worth of property and £980k in loans.

I did that but I don't have the £980K of loans, because I always knew it was a suckers boom so sold the BTLs in 2006 and took the profits to pay off the main residence.

HTH
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          I did that but I don't have the £980K of loans, because I always knew it was a suckers boom so sold the BTLs in 2006 and now live in an eco-shed at the bottom of my parents' garden.
          HTH
          FTFY
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I did that but I don't have the £980K of loans, because I always knew it was a suckers boom so sold the BTLs in 2006 and took the profits to pay off the main residence.

HTH

Good move SasGuru ........ now come here you big lug and give us a hug .......

Comment

sas, you've made a friend.

Comment

So what?

The only people who lose out are those who bought at the top end of the market and contributed to the housing bubble by buying at inflated prices with low deposits.

I have zero sympathy for these people.

So still no problem as far as Im concerned.
                Why would people only have bought with small deposits during the boom? Many people still put down decent deposits if they could, to get better deals.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  Troll or not, in real terms house prices will drop towards the long term average.
                  what are "real terms"? In gold, house prices are not overinflated. Maybe it's just money that is worth less.
                  Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Why would people only have bought with small deposits during the boom? Many people still put down decent deposits if they could, to get better deals.
                    And they will be able to ride this decline since they should stay in positive equity. However there were also an awful lot with 95-100% mortgages who have had this 'buy a house at any cost' drummed into them since birth.

I was watching this one couple on Location, Location. 100% mortgage, 250k, combined income for both was £53,000. This was in 2007. They were even going to get a seperate loan in order to kit out the house they bought if they needed all the money for the house itself.

Its idiots like these, not just the banks, which brought us to our knees.

People don't take any personal responsibility for this mess, its easier just to blame 'the banks'.

Comment

Multi-quote for the win.

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                      Well I suspect you're right. Trouble is, if prices are declining, people hold off buying, and construction companies (and wine bars) go bust. Someone somewhere gets hurt.
                      Exactly. I'm sitting here on a nice fat £80k deposit and I'm holding off buying. Friend moans at me asking me why I haven't bough. Well I say, house prices staying stable and much more likley to drop than go up in the near future - esp when the spending cuts kicks in and interest rate rises force people to sell.

That doesn't make any difference she says becuase if you pay £100k for a house and it falls to £80k all the other £100k houses have fallen and so in real terms you're no worse. Off.

That would be unless I paid £100k for a house I could buy for £80k a few months later in which case I'd be exactly (£20k + interest payments) - rental paid worse off.

So what?

The only people who lose out are those who bought at the top end of the market and contributed to the housing bubble by buying at inflated prices with low deposits. I have zero sympathy for these people.
                      I have some sympathy, though not much. No-one stopped to feel sorry for me 3 years ago when I was scrimping together some deposit and getting told to feck off by a lot of mortgage companies and laughed at by people with houses. So i'm not really feeling sorry for people now the roles have reversed.

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                      And may I ask, what should someone do who needs a house when the price happens to be high? Also, what size of deposit would you say is not too low?
                      Rent, that's what I had to do. I don't think people need any kind of deposit just make banks stick to sensible lending limits based on x times your salary.

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
                      Ok so you bought your house for 250,000 on a 95% mortgage. have a kiddie. Then you lose your job. Your house is now worth 200,000. Check mate...
                      Its a crap situation to be in but such is life.

Ah a sensible one. I'm not against people such as yourself making profit from houses. I'm just against people trying to make me feel sorry for those that rolled the dice and lost.

Comment

Working...
                      X