• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grand Designs.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Someone would buy it. And since they made their living with the "load of tulip". that's a silly subjective opinion.
    [/QUOTE]

Are we talking about the same place? I was referring to the one where she was a fashion designer and he was a sculptor. Having a house full of display cabinets of toy robots and the like wasn't what I would call making their living.

The refurb cost them over £650k, which was their budget and they went over it. Add on the cost of the land, and the cost of the original building, I don't think that many people would be prepared to shell out that much on a massive building that only has two bedrooms. In Essex.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Are we talking about the same place? I was referring to the one where she was a fashion designer and he was a sculptor. Having a house full of display cabinets of toy robots and the like wasn't what I would call making their living.
      Given that his large sculptures probably go for tens of thousands of pounds each, and people pay money for weird art, I have to disagree. I wouldn't like it but that doesn't mean it's not a living.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Given that his large sculptures probably go for tens of thousands of pounds each, and people pay money for weird art, I have to disagree. I wouldn't like it but that doesn't mean it's not a living.
        I didn't see any of his sculptures in the house (apart from the design of the building itself). There were display cases full of toys and other things that they collected, which they wanted to display, not sell.

I wasn't aware of anything in the building that was for sale or even potentially for sale - they wanted a big space to have their collectables on show.

Maybe I missed the bits of the building / display that were for sale, I wasn't watching too carefully.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          I thought it looked rubbish. Losing so much space inside the house to stairs meant it looked quite pokey inside and who the frig wants a 4 story skinny house anyway. The stonework looked good except for the dodgy looking extension they put up

That big chimeny didn't look too safe either!!
          He filled the mine with concrete, the guy was in the building trade and did a lot of the work himself and called in many favours for freebies from his trade mates. Hard worker, and he still hadnt completed it two years on. The view from balconly was impressive through.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            What?

2000 feet of it?

Or capped it?

*I haven't watched it yet, just the trails.
            I hope they've only capped it. It might be useful one day for Uranium mining.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              I didn't see any of his sculptures in the house (apart from the design of the building itself).
              Which wouldn't be complete without a tiny sculpture in it of the design, which itself wouldn't be complete without...

Comment

What?

2000 feet of it?

Or capped it?

*I haven't watched it yet, just the trails.
                They dug down quite a bit but never found it, so they filled the space they dug with steel and concrete, not in the building trade so don't know the technical term.

Comment

Indeed. A grand plan to build a triangle of terraced homes at a price they can no longer sell them for without making a loss.

Yet they can still afford to give them to social housing () so it'll end up as a cesspit as one local resident proclaimed.

Still, more realistic than expecting hard working people to pay top money (over £200k for a 3 bed terrace in Swindon ) and live happily amongst those getting it all for free.

Not sure how much Kev's spent of his own money, but he could have got a few rows of terraced houses for nothing in various northern towns, and populated them with the same quality of people.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Early on in the programme he said he'd spent £400k already. And that was before finding the land & starting building.
                    Channel 4 must be paying well.

A bit like Beeny with her huge mansion. Though she got lucky with the timing, buying before the massive price increases of the last 10 years. I think she said she paid £400k for it (poor Kev, look what you could have bought) but it must be worth a few million by now. Especially if they converted it into apartments.
                    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Stunning in its rank stupidity, as ever.
                      Yep. Especially when the same people that were kicked out of the houses being knocked down will move into new houses, and trash them like they did the old ones.

Then get grants to do them up.

Rinse repeat over the decades until they need rebuilding again.

Until they find a way of educating the scum class to look after their homes better this will be unsolvable, so let them live in slums if they choose to.
                      Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                      X