• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grand Designs.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Earlier in the week there were a number of programmes pointing out the lunacy of the New Liebour housing plan to compulsory purchase vast numbers of houses, knock 'em down & rebuild.

Naturally enough, being a New Lie plan it ran out of money.

One statistic quoted was the purchase of 2000+ reasonably good houses & the rebuilding of 300 odd.

Stunning in its rank stupidity, as ever.
    Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it etc.

A late 1960s Labour council did a compulsory purchase on houses near us and spread the folks around various flats and council houses to make way for some office block. They paid something silly like 50 quid apiece. It split up a real community of house owners and a lot didn't really settle in their new places, and those places eventually hit dump status.

The demolished houses could have become des-res property and decent starter homes when the eighties trend to live in cottages kicked in.

The office block never got built so the site became a sort of park. But not a park to match the Victorian one all of two minutes walk away.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Yep - no rear handles and cheaper to make people park round the front than to fix? Madness.

I think by chipping away at a principle here and another there, then reducing the spec and then realising that there is no storage space meant that the houses became exactly the same as the ones he was mocking.

And he didn't do it at the price he kept mentioning because he couldn't afford to sell them at that.

Fail IMHO.

Comment

BBC News - Defects at Grand Designs presenter Kevin McCloud's homes

Oh dear, indeed.

And I think I heard that another of his projects bit the dust recently.
        It was in Swindon.

Comment

I see Kev's back.

First programme was about an Irish chap who'd bought a folly in the shape of a castle.

At almost exactly the wrong time from the finance point of view.

Hope he gets the money to finish it.
          The Irish chap came across as a bit bonkers.. but the stone rather than glass thingy was definitely a master stroke
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            The Irish chap came across as a bit bonkers.. but the stone rather than glass thingy was definitely a master stroke
            Yes.

It looked really excellent.
            But the guy was a proper tool, coming in at a weekend and ripping the walls down

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
              But the guy was a proper tool, coming in at a weekend and ripping the walls down
              Was that a new series. Damn, I was only half watching thinking it was a repeat. LOL. Was the bloke an actor or something? Me and the MRs were debating that very fact. Maybe when Cacleaod has said "it's got a lot of theatre" I misunderstood and it wasn't a reference to his day job.
              Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

I see that Kev has another series on next Sunday, this one's all about how to build a shed.

Got to make money somehow, I suppose.
                I've just built a shed. Big 20-foot fecker. I wonder how big Kev's will be?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  I've just built a shed. Big 20-foot fecker. I wonder how big Kev's will be?
                  Does size really matter? Surely its quality that counts?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Does size really matter? Surely its quality that counts?
                    Only people with small sheds say that.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If one of the neighbours punched her in the face I would have shouted "again, again".

annoying cow.

Comment

Working...
                      X