• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grand Designs.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I remember seeing some show-houses in Milton Keynes in the early 1980s with nuclear bunkers build into them.
    But who would wish to survive a nuclear strike if it meant living in MK??

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

The woman came across as totally emotionless whereas the man was so passionate.

Shame the house failed to bring the two families together as hoped.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        This season has been somewhat more traumatic as the credit crunch broke during the filming.

One house took over 5 years to complete & looks awful.

Another lune decides to spend upwards of £1M or so on doing up a disused lifeboat station in Tenby. I wonder how many force 10, 11, or 12 gales they've experienced since finishing it.

Yesterday's epic was a couple who wanted more space to store their collection of treasures, updated an Elizabethan/Georgian barn, then decided it looked better without the collection of junk.
        That lifeboat station cost £1M.

Construction has gone down hill since the Victorian age.

Comment

Last week's lune has spent a mere £87k on his epic project.

Wonderful views from that window.

In fact, it's also a wonderful window I rather thought.
          There is something strange about that couple, but I can't put my finger on what it is.

Comment

Yesterday's epic was a couple who wanted more space to store their collection of treasures, updated an Elizabethan/Georgian barn, then decided it looked better without the collection of junk.
            That was rather weird. I started off hating them as weirdos but they seemed to become less weird as the program went on. The interior frame was amazing and I liked the view from the bedroom through the silos, but it's very odd.

The main thing everyone wants is a house with 9X the square footage of a normal house, which they then leave as a giant room. A £1m house in the country you can't invite 10 people round to stay seems broken to me.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Loved the kid telling her father, "No, Rome wasn't built in a day, but this is a house".
              Ye gods don't let my kids see that.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                That was rather weird. I started off hating them as weirdos but they seemed to become less weird as the program went on. The interior frame was amazing and I liked the view from the bedroom through the silos, but it's very odd.
                I found that as the episode went on, I hated them more and more.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                The main thing everyone wants is a house with 9X the square footage of a normal house, which they then leave as a giant room. A £1m house in the country you can't invite 10 people round to stay seems broken to me.
                A two bedroom house that no-one will ever buy, filled with a load of tulip.

They deserve to be bankrupt at the end of that one, even if his parents had given them the land and the barn as a starting point.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  A two bedroom house that no-one will ever buy, filled with a load of tulip.
                  Someone would buy it. And since they made their living with the "load of tulip", that's a silly subjective opinion.

Comment

So this week's lune wanted to build a dwelling out of an abandoned engine house for a silver mine.

Carefully forgetting the 2000 foot deep hole in the garden, no doubt.
                    I thought it looked rubbish. Losing so much space inside the house to stairs meant it looked quite pokey inside and who the frig wants a 4 story skinny house anyway. The stonework looked good except for the dodgy looking extension they put up

That big chimeny didn't look too safe either!!
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Haven't watched that episode yet, but in Cornwall there are quite a few converted mine-houses - is that where this one was set? I would have assumed so but Cornwall's more famed for tin mining.

Comment

Working...
                      X