• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Certification Advice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooo goody more fresh meat for the Jabber sword.

I am not sure companies really value commercial experience over qualifications - what they value is competitive advantage - either personal ie the recruiter or the company. That may come from experience or it may come from doing as you're told. Take ageism - if experience was really so important all IT depts would be staffed by over 50s - they have oodles of experience and many just want a job and would fit in. No, the recruiters prefer young 25 year olds for most cannon fodder roles because they do as they are told, even if its the wrong thing to do and even if they don't know how to do them. As for qualifications employers use them as a differentiator - they don't really care what you know - only that you are in the top 10%. If everyone has qualifications then they are worthless and employers just test people. Also if you are better qualified than the recruiter it is a no go.

The Jabber basic law of recruitment is that people recruit people just like themselves, only younger and a bit thicker. This applies to contractors as well as perms. I distinctly remember one interview I had where a pair of contractors rubbished another candidate of 20 years experience who I personally knew was a top banana.

Maybe I should go into recruitment - if Dodgy can do it, any old dog terd can.

Comment

If you are unemployed, with time on your hands, I would be nailing every cert under the sun. The question of certification versus experience isn't useful here. Obviously experience is better but that isn't an option open to you.

Don't mess about with training courses in India. You don't need them. Get the books, book the exam, study and practice and it will work out at 150 a pop.

Having a certification is one of those things you can't fake. You can bulltulip a lot at interviews but having hard, concrete evidence that you have actually done something will put you ahead... not of the people who have real experience... but you probably won't be going near those roles anyway. Yet.

Comment

The Jabber basic law of recruitment is that people recruit people just like themselves, only younger and a bit thicker. This applies to contractors as well as perms. I distinctly remember one interview I had where a pair of contractors rubbished another candidate of 20 years experience who I personally knew was a top banana.

Very astute observations there JW, and how very true.

May I interest you in a possible appointment as Minister of Employment within the forthcoming Pruffock(c) adminstration ?

Comment

Public sector work ? That's the last refuge of a capitalist failure. Hell no, I want to be part of Dodgy's empire - I want to be the guy who does the hanging, drawing and quartering. If only they hadn't outlawed gibbeting.

Comment

Originally posted by serverlad
            Thanks in advance

Ryan
            Did you thank those US Marines for finding you?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

[QUOTE=Jabberwocky]The Jabber basic law of recruitment is that people recruit people just like themselves, only younger and a bit thicker. QUOTE]

SausageJockey, Looks like you will always have a job in the public sector

There is another law which is city institutions will not recruit people from the public sector
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum

Having a certification is one of those things you can't fake.
                Like a male orgasm

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                  There is another law which is city institutions will not recruit people from the public sector
                  Excepting ex-civil service mandarins and front-bench politicians, obviously.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
                    Excepting ex-civil service mandarins and front-bench politicians, obviously.
                    Fair point

Comment

us marines?wtf? thank them feck all......

guess ill get to work on getting certs on my own time.

ya eejits

but hey insight is better than none.

Comment

Working...
                      X