• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Danish embassy set ablaze in Syria

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan
    I got given a copy of the Koran for Christmas, and it appears to be open to interpretation in so many ways. I am still reading through it.

Yesterday though was my birthday and I received my other asked for book. Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler. They're next to each other on my bookshelf.
    All you need is Harry Potter to complete the set.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
      All you need is Harry Potter to complete the set.

Top post, me old mycelium.
      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
        Mohammed was not actually fictional. Christ may have been.

By the standards of his day the prophet was not a bad chap, conquered other lands but did not kill those who converted. The Christians were not usually so charitable.

Rather a wise man too, reportedly. The irony is that if he had been immortal, he would probably have had the wisdom to update his teachings in accord with the times, and not have remained stuck in the past like his stupid adherents. It is little wonder that Islamic states are mostly such impoverished backward places. Any modern country in which every legal measure has to be analysed for theological soundness by a theocratic elite will never make fast progress.
        wandered onto this thread after an evening on the razzle.
        Strikes me, Xog, that your post should be posted on every Islamic website going. You're absolutely right, what this stupid rabble don't undersatnd is that there was a time when Islam WAS the superior culture. That was in the dark/middle ages when they helped to bridge the gap between the ancients and the enlightment. For example, as everyone in IT should know the word algorithm comes from an Arab called Al Khourizmi (sp?).
        Unfortunatley, they seem to have to got stuck a few centuries ago and now are totally crap.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

"Dark Ages" as such did not exist, and is as such a term from cultural miljo. During this period there was still scientific advancement in Europe, most of it funded by the Catholic Church actually. With the rise of Protestantism it so happened for political reasons that people would teach history up to the early church, and then on from the enlightenment, thereby leaving a gap, which some wag wryly entitled the "dark ages". With the counter example being that if you learned history in a more Catholic community then the period is often taught as being a period of harmony and light...
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus

Top post, me old mycelium.
            Actually. They are next to my Harry Potter Books. Seemed a logical place to put them.LOL

Under fiction.

I like the concept of the Quran. A bloke who was getting on a bit, been married, been a businessman etc,decides to go and sit in a cave. After a while he goes into a trance, where he is taken over by god, and comes back and talks about the sura god has given to him. This happens for a number of years, where he goes into his trance like state. The suras are from the word of god with Mohammed as his vessel. Not until his death, did they write them down, before hand all being recited verbally, and then the Muslims decided which of the four men to follow after him. Loads of people follow him.

So effectively, Mohammed was a normal bloke, whereby Jesus was the son of God who did miracles. Mmmmmm. Obviously the carpenters son represents the working class, while Mohammed represents the poorly educated.

Alternatively, Mein Kampf was about a bloke who was a little younger, but neverthe less was getting on a bit. He'd been a failed businessman and frustrated artist. So he decides to go and sit in a room where he goes into a trance and writes loads of stuff down. This goes on for a number of years. Loads of people follow him.

I am not suggesting a link.
            Last edited by MarillionFan; 5 February 2006, 09:22.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
              Actually. They are next to my Harry Potter Books. Seemed a logical place to put them.LOL

Under fiction.

I like the concept of the Quran. A bloke who was getting on a bit, been married, been a businessman etc,decides to go and sit in a cave. After a while he goes into a trance, where he is taken over by god, and comes back and talks about the sura god has given to him. This happens for a number of years, where he goes into his trance like state. The suras are from the word of god with Mohammed as his vessel. Not until his death, did they write them down, before hand all being recited verbally, and then the Muslims decided which of the four men to follow after him. Loads of people follow him.

So effectively, Mohammed was a normal bloke, whereby Jesus was the son of God who did miracles. Mmmmmm. Obviously the carpenters son represents the working class, while Mohammed represents the poorly educated.

Alternatively, Mein Kampf was about a bloke who was a little younger, but neverthe less was getting on a bit. He'd been a failed businessman and frustrated artist. So he decides to go and sit in a room where he goes into a trance and writes loads of stuff down. This goes on for a number of years. Loads of people follow him.

I am not suggesting a link.

I first read Mein Kampf at the age of eleven, the original first editon at that; for those whom dont know of course Mein Kanpf means my struggle writen by Hitler whilst in jail; a fascinating read.

Speaking of the Nazis; one propaganda tool was the depiction of Jews as demons and criminals in the form of cartoons published by the press;this was done to set public opinion against Jews; interesting.

From cartroons of Mohammed
              To Christ like figures at Tescos that glow in the Dark

For those who talk of religion
              And embrace War and Hate most bitterly

Its easy to see without looking too far
              Not much is really sacred

Comment

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Jordanian tabloid Al-Shihan chose to publish three of the images, a move that led to all copies being removed from the newsstands and its editor, Jihad Momani, being fired. 'Muslims of the world, be reasonable,' he had written in an editorial.

Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, strongly condemned the re-publication of the cartoons, as did the American State Department.

'These cartoons are indeed offensive to the belief of Muslims,' State Department spokesman Kurtis Cooper said. 'We all fully recognise and respect freedom of the press and expression, but it must be coupled with press responsibility. Inciting religious or ethnic hatreds in this manner is not acceptable.'

In France, leaders of both the Catholic and the Jewish communities condemned the publication of the cartoons. 'Freedom of speech is never absolute. It entails responsibility and judgment,' said Kofi Annan, the United Nations secretary general. At last the peak of anger seemed to have past.

'I have been hurt, grieved and I am angry.'
                  Pakistan President General Pervez Musharraf

'There is freedom of speech, we all respect that, but there is not any obligation to insult or to be gratuitously inflammatory... I believe that the republication of these cartoons has been unnecessary, it has been insensitive, it has been disrespectful and it has been wrong.'

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw

'We'd take Muslim protests more seriously if they weren't so hypocritical... The imams were quiet when Syrian TV showed Jewish rabbis as cannibals in a primetime series.'

Berlin's Die Welt which republished one of the cartoons

PS anybody got a link to the above; sounds like a laugh ...
                  Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 5 February 2006, 18:55.

Comment

Big difference was that Christ's teaching were totally admirable and should be a model for anyone, Christians or otherwise, even if his followers perverted the message. Muhammed started the philosophy that has been a consistent thread of Islam ever since, convert or else. Else being either become a largely rightless rump in an Islamic state or dead depending on how tolerant they are feeling.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 5 February 2006, 19:29.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

On Saturday, Asghar Bukhari, chairman of the Muslim Public Affairs Committee, said the demonstration in London on Friday should have been stopped by police because the group had been advocating violence.

He said the protesters "did not represent British Muslims".

"I condemn them without reservation, these people are less representative of Muslims than the BNP are of the British people."

Surprised you edited it out xog. Thought the same thing on reading it myself.

I think the phrases: back handed complements, hypocracy, holier-than-thou, and poor little us come to mind...

Comment

Working...
                      X