• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you stay motivated?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    listen to music.. loud
    WCS
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Really?

There is a clear differentiation between people in the world. Those who can and those who can't.

Guess who are queuing at the job centre!
      There are those on the bench, and those that aren't. The Jobcentre always reminds me of those on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        There are those on the bench, and those that aren't. The Jobcentre always reminds me of those on the bench.
        If a contractor is on the bench he's either can't be bothered or he's a 'those who can' but between cans? Contractors are never those who can't.... Well except SY.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

My combined income is £250k
          And I trust that you are paying new 50% income tax in full on it?

Comment

If a contractor is on the bench he's either can't be bothered or he's a 'those who can' but between cans? Contractors are never those who can't.... Well except SY.
            I think maybe we have different views on this.

I've been out of work in the past and I don't like it, whether you call it 'between cans' or not.

I don't earn six figures per annum like many of you, so that affects my attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              And I trust that you are paying new 50% income tax in full on it?

What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                I try and ensure that I have sufficient resources to be able to delegate the crap jobs to.

Hth.
                Oh crap, I'm in agreement with Spod. I was going to say "hire a sub-contractor and take a cut"
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I don't pretend to earn six figures per annum like many of you, so that affects my attitude.
                  FTFY
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Contractors queueing at the job centre? Having done the job centre bit a few years ago it was a "never again" experience.

They kindly "invited" me in for an interview to help me find my next challenge. The lady was clueless, asking whether I had considered setting up my own company to become a contractor. I asked her to review the details she had on the screen about me, after which she said "oh, I see....".

On a previous occasion having been put on the bench from permanent employment I asked for them to pay a train fare so that I could attend interview. They refused because the rules stated that if your last salary was greater than £25K (which mine had been) then you weren't entitled to free travel at the taxpayers expense. WTF, so because I had been earning a decent wedge I had this magic pile of money stashed away so that I could pay my own train fares.

It's a sham I tell you. If government REALLY wanted to cure unemployment then they'd pass laws to make employers pay the first 2 years of unemployment benefit for anyone they laid off. That way those employers would soon figure out new ways to use workers whose job functions might have been chopped.

Comment

Contractors are never those who can't.
                      Hm, not sure I agree with that statement!
                      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                      X