• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would it bother you if someone burnt your national flag?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with the late great Bill Hicks on this who posited that being a nationalist was pointless seeing as you had no control over which country your parents fu**ed in.
    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
      I'm with the late great Bill Hicks on this who posited that being a nationalist was pointless seeing as you had no control over which country your parents fu**ed in.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Nope. Actually, I am very tempted to set fire to one Union Jack, that disgusting tatty old thing that neighbour MR PIKEY SCUM has in his front garden. You would think if someone goes to the trouble of putting a full size flagpole in their front garden they would buy a decent flag to go on it.
        To be pedantic there is no such flag called the Union Jack. What you are referring to is called the Union Flag.

Point taken and agreed with though.
        Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Even if you didn't think the flag was important in itself, if someone did it specifically to upset you, wouldn't the sentiment be more important than the action?
          To revise my earlier opinion ,if I was on holiday in some far flung place in the world and someone burned it, I probably would be upset, and if the place was dodgy enough* maybe in fear of my life.

* could apply in certain parts of the US
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I've generally been of that opinion, though haven't seen it put quite so bluntly as that before!

Nevertheless I would definitely take it as a slight on a group of people that includes me, and I would want to know why they wanted to do a thing like that.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              Nevertheless I would definitely take it as a slight on a group of people that includes me, and I would want to know why they wanted to do a thing like that.
              Ah now, I've always wanted to know what drives people to burn flags, burn books, or indeed march like lemmings behind flag waving politicians or book carrying radical priests, but whenever I've met people who do that kind of thing I've found that getting reason out of them is like extracting blood from a stone.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Even if you didn't think the flag was important in itself, if someone did it specifically to upset you, wouldn't the sentiment be more important than the action?
                It depends who does it. As I said, middle eastern types are always at it, so that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  To revise my earlier opinion ,if I was on holiday in some far flung place in the world and someone burned it, I probably would be upset, and if the place was dodgy enough* maybe in fear of my life.

* could apply in certain parts of the US
                  Top tip: If you're arrested/kidnapped in dodgy country claim you're Welsh, they'll most probably sympathise with your plight and let you move on.

I have a friend who spent the best part of 10 years travelling in some very dodgy places like Syria and Jordon, he reckoned it worked every time.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

On the same score, being in a family is also pointless because you have no control over who your parents are.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                      Top tip: If you're arrested/kidnapped in dodgy country claim you're Welsh, they'll most probably sympathise with your plight and let you move on.

I have a friend who spent the best part of 10 years travelling in some very dodgy places like Syria and Jordon, he reckoned it worked every time.
                      Yeah, what's this fashionable 'victim culture' thing all about? People flying basque flags and so on? Solidarity with oppressed peoples around the world and all that?

Does it add up to 'I'm bored with being a well fed healthy middle class kid from some smart neighbourhood; I'd rather be an oppressed minority from tulipholistan'.

Comment

Working...
                      X