• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

After the deep fried snicker bars were done

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Overthrowing Monarchies.

What do you do with the spoils? Can I bags Balmoral please?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

FTFY
      Well that is a valid question. But if you do have one, wouldn't you rather they're good at it?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Is it really necessary to get rid of the monarchy? Wouldn’t it just cause an awful lot of fuss when there are more immediate and pressing issues to be addressed?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          But if you do have one, wouldn't you rather they're good at it?
          FWIW,
          I think the Queen has done a pretty decent job. However, I do NOT believe that Charles will ever be properly accepted by the majority of the Public after the whole Diana/Camilla fiascos. It would make more sense to simply skip a generation and go to William, but constitutionally they would never agree to that. So I say, when the Queen passes away, we should simply allow it to phase out quietly.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

FWIW,
            I think the Queen has done a pretty decent job. However, I do NOT believe that Charles will ever be properly accepted by the majority of the Public after the whole Diana/Camilla fiascos. It would make more sense to simply skip a generation and go to William, but constitutionally they would never agree to that. So I say, when the Queen passes away, we should simply allow it to phase out quietly.
            What on earth makes you so presumptuous as to think that you should have a say in such matters?

Anyway, I think Harry would be more of a laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              What on earth makes you so presumptuous as to think that you should have a say in such matters?
              I DON'T have a say in such matters. Nor does anyone else. Therein lies a large part of the problem.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I DON'T have a say in such matters. Nor does anyone else. Therein lies a large part of the problem.
                Ah, well you see my old chap, I would rather like to have a say in these matters, and I'm sure that you're an erudite fellow who deserves to have a say, but you must remember that under the current constitutional arrangements of most, if not all parliamentary democracies that have a monarch as head of state, the right to vote after the age of 18 is granted to the plebs as part of their birthright, and not gained by merit. A worthy, educated, hard working immigrant has no right to vote, even though he might use his vote in a most sensible fashion, while layabouts, scoundrels and cads may vote by virtue only of the rather narrow legal definition of 'citizenship'. This, to my mind, creates a monarchy of the masses, at the expense of a meritocratic democracy.

In other words, as long as dimwitted chavs have the vote, I'll support keeping the monarchy.

Move to a meritocratic system of ´citizenship´ and voting instead of a nationalistic system, where the merits of the individual are tested in some politically neutral fashion, such as intelligence testing or tests of reasoning, and I would feel happier entrusting power to the plebs.

I actually agree that a monarch is an anachronism, but it´s an anachronism that can be a protection against mob rule in turbulent times.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I actually agree that a monarch is an anachronism, but it´s an anachronism that can be a protection against mob rule in turbulent times.
                  Mob rule might have served us very well under NL.

Would have been a refreshing alternative to KNOB rule!!

Comment

Mob rule might have served us very well under NL.

Would have been a refreshing alternative to KNOB rule!!

I´m struggling to find a weakness in this argument, but give me time.

Comment

Anyway, I don't like those chairs with matching curtains. Not my taste at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X