• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Fireside Vol. XXXVI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Fireside Vol. XXXVI

Getting a bit chilly now, isn't it? To save you the trouble of going out in the cold, here's some more stuff that will come to you:
    • Secrets of the Little Blue Box - Before hackers, there were phreakers, who bent the phone system to their will. This article about some of the leaders in the field was originally published in Esquire in October 1971. "I've also sent my voice around the world one way, going east on one phone, and going west on the other, going through cable one way, satellite the other, coming back together at the same time, ringing the two phones simultaneously and picking them up and whipping my voice both ways around the world back to me. Wow. That was a mind blower."

• Live Ships Map - Google Maps mashup showing positions of shipping around the world in near real-time. If you thought the motorway could get busy, just look at the Straits of Dover.

• A Sculpture That Perpetually Sells Itself On eBay - "Artist Caleb Larsen has created an art sculpture which, when connected to the Internet, perpetually attempts to sell itself on eBay." Not a lot to add to that

• There is a Horse in the Apple Store - "...and no one sees it but me." Frank Chimero is bemused at being the only person to notice a woman with a pony in his local Apple Store.

• 0 Views - "The Best of the Bottom of the Barrel." A collection of YouTube videos that not a single person has looked at - well, until they were looked at and put on this site, obviously. You can bump them up to 2. (Risk of NSFW stuff, if W gets upset by videos of people smoking bongs.)

• commandlinefu.com - "commandlinefu.com is the place to record those command-line gems that you return to again and again... All commands can be commented on, discussed and voted up or down.". Huge collection of useful Unix commands

• 13 Things that Saved Apollo 13 - "On the night of April 13th, 1970, when the oxygen tank in Apollo 13's command module exploded, a 27-year-old engineer named Jerry Woodfill sat at his console in the Mission Evaluation Room at Johnson Space Center, monitoring the caution and warning system he helped create for the Apollo spacecraft... for the past 40 years he has studied the Apollo 13 mission in intricate detail [and] has come up with what he calls '13 Things That Saved Apollo 13.'" (Warning: on some pages, the formatting of the picture captions gets a bit tangled and weird. You're smart, you'll figure it out.)

• Bank Error In My Favor: Collect $95,000 - When Patrick Combs deposited a pseudo-cheque from some junk mail in his bank's ATM, he thought it was a bit of harmless fun. He was astonished when the bank credited his account with $95,093.35. He was even more astonished when he tried to explain what happened and the bank insisted that the money was his. Then he withdrew the money... and all hell broke loose.

• The case of the 500-mile email - "We can't send mail farther than 500 miles from here. A little bit more, actually. Call it 520 miles. But no farther." "Um... Email really doesn't work that way, generally..." But it turns out that with a buggy Sendmail installation and a universe where the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, it does.

• Patricia Waller: A Selection of Artworks - German artist Patricia Waller creates cute soft toys and such, with a bit of a twist:

Happy invoicing!

Working...
X