• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Giant Cockup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    They should just create a retrospective tax law, along the lines of "The tax you paid before 2010, was the amount you should have paid. Unless it was less than the amount you should have paid, in which case cough up you thieving tax evading bastards."
    don't they already have powers to fine you if they mess up your tax but you don't tell them they have messed it up?
    Or is that just for the self employed?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Speaking to a family member, who works for the dark side, at the weekend who mentioned something about the tulip hitting the fan soon.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I'd imagine it would be 'all hands to the pumps' until they get it sorted.

I'm wondering who will get fired (who's the outsourcer?) and if there are any jobs going.
        I believe it's the shiny new system (and outsourcer) who's finding the crap left by the old system. I know that they're implementing new systems on new hardware at present.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Self assessment? I invented that!

"My accountant told me to put my money into land, so I buried it in the back garden."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            I'm wondering who will get fired (who's the outsourcer?) and if there are any jobs going.
            Certainly. I'll just set you up on the HMRC billing system. You'll get £400/day.

3 months later sorry, £460/day
            3 months later actually, -£200/day. We've sent somebody round to repossess your van.
            3 months later oops. Should have been £1500/day. Expect some gold bullion in the post.
            3 months later Actually no, it should have been £400 all along. Why didn't you tell us? Go directly to jail.

Comment

Anyone had a letter from HMRC today about this?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

"Ensuring everyone pays the correct amount of tax"

Wasn't that the mantra of Dawn Primarolo and Gordon Brown?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Anyone had a letter from HMRC today about this?
                  Yes. I'm due £2978 from HMRC.

PS - not really
                  Last edited by Svalbaard; 7 September 2010, 15:34.
                  Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Working...
                  X