• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Split from Welcome FAQ thread - Is there a God? Discuss

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be very amused if, when I shuffle off, I find out there is a god.

Only because of all the vehement atheists on here would have to admit they are wrong.

And I don't think I've ever seen that before!
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Only because of all the vehement atheists on here would have to admit they are wrong.
      Seriously. That would be the ONLY reason you'd be amused, should events turn out that way?
      And what might constitute a "vehement atheist"?
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I used to imagine nobody believed anything for real either, until I entered the big wide world.You might want to broaden your view of the world - I respect your right to believe whatever you want, it's not about that, but to suppose everyone is atheist is very narrow minded. I bet even on the secular and rarefied community that is CUK, less than an overwhelming majority would claim there is nothing beyond random chance.
        Your rant was slightly wide of the mark, so get off your high horse.

My remark was based on the hope that you weren't seriously stating your religious views on your signature.

The flavour of fairytale you choose to believe in is your choice though, obviously.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Seriously. That would be the ONLY reason you'd be amused, should events turn out that way?
          And what might constitute a "vehement atheist"?
          Nah, thinking about it, other things about it would amuse me too but that would be a big one.

Vehement atheist - somebody who thrusts their atheism down your throat as much as an evangelical christian would "pray for you".
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Ah, you clearly have no understanding of the Theory of Evolution, which explains why you like to believe in a fantasy god.
            Even though I do not believe in God, I am afraid I
            cannot discount the possibility. I also cannot discount evolution. In fact I cannot discount the possibility that Margaret Thatcher could fly through my window on a Giant Flying Anchovy.

That's because I believe in mathematics and probability & regardless of how unlikely anything is possible.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The existence of god is a completely academic question. If god created us for his own purposes and doesn't actually care about us as individuals, his existence is no more relevant to us than that of dark matter. The real question is whether there is a god who judges us according to what we do in this life and rewards or punishes us in the next accordingly, as established religions tell us. These say there is not:

a) The way that what we are is so determined by our genes, our upbringing, our experiences and the society we live in that the concept of absolute free will is a nonsense. If Christianity is the true religion how could those brought up as Buddhists have any chance of salvation? Doesn't the Christian god care about them?

b) What we are is so dependent on pure chemistry that there is no evidence of any higher self like a soul. You can take a good man and make a monster with a blow on the head or drugs.

c) The prophets and messiahs are clearly the product of their own cultures. Isn't it odd how men who are or speak to god have no knowledge beyond that you would expect of a man of that time living in that place? Muhammed should have known about Cocaine etc and warned against anything that affects the mind. He only forbad alcohol.

d) The prophets and messiahs are limited by time and geography. Didn't people living on the other side of the world matter, or those who lived before the latest messiah/prophet? If god loves us all equally, shouldn't he have sent his message to every time and place? He is almighty after all, so what's the problem?

e) There are too many contradictions: Why would god give us the ability to think for ourselves and then expect us to believe in what some book says? Why give us natural instincts , like the need to protect ourselves and families and then expect us to turn the other cheek? Why give us sexual urges and then expect us to be chaste? Violence, fornication, pursuit of pleasure, these aren't from the devil. Observation of the same behaviour in other social animals tells us they are natural instincts, those god supposedly gave us all. Difficult to make a just god out of that, only a malevolent one who created us for his own amusement.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Vehement atheist - somebody who thrusts their atheism down your throat as much as an evangelical christian would "pray for you".
                Cheers for the heads-up. I'll be watching out for them buggers!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  snip some stuff you've obviously had a think about
                  Most religions, if you follow them properly, end up with you being a better person to your fellow man.

I'm broadly in favour of that sort of thing.

Comment

Most religions, if you follow them properly, end up with you being a better person to your fellow man.

I'm broadly in favour of that sort of thing.
                    Me too. In fact if you were to simply live by the notion of "Treating others as you would wish to be treated yourself", then everything else pretty well dovetails nicely in behind it.
                    Except of course if you are some sort of crazed masochist, but leaving them to one side...............

Comment

And I don't think I've ever seen that before!

So existence of God = existence of afterlife? Or vice versa? Not sure where that leap of logic came from.

Comment

Working...
                      X