• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Split from Welcome FAQ thread - Is there a God? Discuss"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    You could argue that in Britain today that out of control youths, drug use, a 3rd tier society are all down to a lack of direction through a lack of religion
    You could but it doesn't actually fit the facts. They may not be able to afford booze but the third world generally has far more crime and social problems than we do although it is also generally more religious. Polls tell us that the country with the lowest degree of religious belief is Japan, which also has one of the lowest crime rates. The US is not exactly crime free but they are far more religious than we are.

The main correlations of crime and social problems are with a) conflicts and lack of a stable culture and b) poverty. Some of the worst problems in our country, like the Welsh Valleys, are where traditional ways of life have been lost and as yet nothing has replaced them.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    You expect to find an answer to the question 'does god exist'? You'll be getting a drenching from all that piss.
    As I said in an earlier post, whether or not god exists is not the question I am interested in answering. I do expect to gain something of value from seeking answers though.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    It's only by "arguing" about such questions that we can begin to find answers.

It seems odd that God would have granted us the playing field of reason if he didn't intend for us to frolic upon it. Perhaps these squabbles are the reason he created the universe?
    You expect to find an answer to the question 'does god exist'? You'll be getting a drenching from all that piss.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Arguing whether god exists or not is pissing in the wind, there's no proof either way.
    It's only by "arguing" about such questions that we can begin to find answers.

It seems odd that God would have granted us the playing field of reason if he didn't intend for us to frolic upon it. Perhaps these squabbles are the reason he created the universe?

Leave a comment:

• MayContainNuts
    replied
    Humanity and society got on very well for thousands of years before Moses went up a hill and got stoned.
    Not sure that is completely true. There are more people alive to today living in harmony than there were 1000s of years of ago. It can be argued that it is a much more peaceful world now than then. But that could be a subjective argument.

The question should be, Are you born with a moral compass or is it taught? Religion offers that guidance.

You could argue that in Britain today that out of control youths, drug use, a 3rd tier society are all down to a lack of direction through a lack of religion.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Seriously, I just do not get why atheists are so obsessed with god not existing.

The longest posts in this thread are by people who claim that there is no God. Why?
    Watch the news.

If you watched a kid repeatedly stick their hand into a fire screaming with pain each time, would you want to take five minutes out of your day to tell them it was a bad idea?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Humanity happily kicked the tulip out of each other for thousands of years before Moses went up a hill and got stoned.
    And have kept on doing so ever since.

Dictation of moral codes has never been a problem for rulers, religious or otherwise, but persuading human beings to comply with them has always been and always will be a difficulty.

Making them foolproof is another game altogether.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post
    I am the Lord your God
    You shall have no other gods before me
    You shall not make for yourself an idol
    Do not take the name of the Lord in vain
    Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
    Honor your father and mother
    You shall not murder
    You shall not commit adultery
    You shall not steal
    You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
    You shall not covet your neighbor's wife
    You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor
    Humanity and society got on very well for thousands of years before Moses went up a hill and got stoned.

Leave a comment:

• MayContainNuts
    replied
    Arguing whether god exists or not is pissing in the wind, there's no proof either way.

A moral code does not require religion.
    I agree, proof of god is pissing in the wind. At least with pissing in the wind you know you may get wet!

Moral codes do not require religion, but in practice, as opposed to theory religion plays a guiding light. Of the commandments, the first relate to God, but the remainder

Do not kill, do not steal, do not lie, do not act like a Premiership footballer are a moral code. Whether religion dictates or innate human instinct dictates moral codes is the question?

I am the Lord your God
    You shall have no other gods before me
    You shall not make for yourself an idol
    Do not take the name of the Lord in vain
    Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
    Honor your father and mother
    You shall not murder
    You shall not commit adultery
    You shall not steal
    You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
    You shall not covet your neighbor's wife
    You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post
    The jury is still out whether God exists or not.

But man needs to have a moral code to attain to. If that is by the basis of religion then this can only be a good thing.

But I have seen people swap from one of atheism to agnostic to zealot with equal vigour. I believe that religion suits those who seek it.

A moral code does not require religion.

Leave a comment:

• MayContainNuts
    replied
    The jury is still out whether God exists or not.

But man needs to have a moral code to attain to. If that is by the basis of religion then this can only be a good thing.

But I have seen people swap from one of atheism to agnostic to zealot with equal vigour. I believe that religion suits those who seek it.

Leave a comment:

• EC4N
    replied
    Seriously, I just do not get why atheists are so obsessed with god not existing.

The longest posts in this thread are by people who claim that there is no God. Why?
    Because they are fighting their own conscience.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Can we just have a role call to all the people that do not believe in 'A God' that have bought a book that talks about 'A God' not existing?

If he is not there why are you so obsessed with the subject to spend 10 hours reading something you already agree with? Or did the book form your opinion?

Half the country thinks the Beatles were the best band EVER, I have no inclination to try to convince them otherwise. It's their belief.
    Where's the Poll?

BTW. Marillion was the best band ever, but I won't hold it against you.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Can we just have a role call to all the people that do not believe in 'A God' that have bought a book that talks about 'A God' not existing?

If he is not there why are you so obsessed with the subject to spend 10 hours reading something you already agree with? Or did the book form your opinion?

Half the country thinks the Beatles were the best band EVER, I have no inclination to try to convince them otherwise. It's their belief.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X