• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A'level results day.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I say, that brings back memories! I recognised that fine fellow immediately; good old Mr Todger-Muckytache giving young Gubby a good lashing in his study!

Halcyon days indeed!
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      That's just pandering to government employment figures.
      If I were just passing my a-levels now I would have serious thoughts about not going to uni.

All I learned from uni that I still use is how to write a report and explain myself. The rest of it that I occasionally use I could have easily picked up "on-the-job".

I agree with your point about absolute marking.

I did 100% course work for a few of my GCSEs - nobody gave a tulip when they actually mattered for getting a job/uni place - all they saw was the grade.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        I say, that brings back memories! I recognised that fine fellow immediately; good old Mr Todger-Muckytache giving young Gubby a good lashing in his study!

Halcyon days indeed!
        The thwack of willow across buttock. It fair takes me back!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Historically weren't grades based on your grade ranking compared to your peers? E.g. 10% got A's, 20% got B's etc? So it didn't matter how hard or easy the exams were, employers/educational establishments could differentiate students with grades and these had some credibility and usefulness.
          That was the case yes, however it will actually hide talent. A bright student who happens to be in a year group with an unusually large number of other bright students will find themselves struggling to get the top grade when if they were born a few months earlier/later they could have achieved it.
          Similarly if an exam paper is found to be much easier than anticipated a student who had expected to be in the top 10% could suffer when suddenly even 95% isn't enough for an A
          By setting the grades to match actual score attained it levels the playing field, however it does introduce the other issue of exam boards having to set exam papers in a consistent manner.

Also with the prevailance of higher education these days, A-levels are becoming merely a stepping stone qualification. I'm not sure that many pupils will be going straight from A-level to work.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            With a c d and an e sounds like education maybe a stretch to fair for him.

Not good academically, so what's the point of sending Timmy off to Uni.
            He's probably better off there than trying to get a job right now and sad as it may be a degree of any level still gets you better employment prospects in the long term.

Plus it gets him out of the house so we get the place to ourselves for the first time in 19 years

PS fair/far
            Last edited by DaveB; 19 August 2010, 09:23.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              The thwack of willow across buttock. It fair takes me back!
              Actually it was f**king painful and I’ve considered looking up some of those bastards in their nursing homes and giving them a damn good kicking, but never mind; a criminal record wouldn’t be good for business.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                If I were just passing my a-levels now I would have serious thoughts about not going to uni.

All I learned from uni that I still use is how to write a report and explain myself. The rest of it that I occasionally use I could have easily picked up "on-the-job".
                The one flaw in your post is that a lot of jobs stipulate a degree and some even specify the minimum 2.1
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  The one flaw in your post is that a lot of jobs stipulate a degree and some even specify the minimum 2.1
                  <lights fuse>
                  This might be the real reason why many people became contractors.
                  <retreats to safe distance>

Comment

All sorted, UCAS confirmed. Unconditional Firm Offer from Cardiff.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      Cardiff.
                      Is that a long way away?

Comment

Working...
                      X