• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it legal to work on a second contract, while you are already working on one?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunnyboy View Post
    No I am not British/EU

I am working in germany for which i have a work visa...but I can travel wherever in EU...

but the other client is in another EU country and has an urgent requirement for only a week...

So I think I can go there, do the job, come back in a week...and noone will notice when I came and went :-p
    oh yes...and i pay tax in UK...through a payroll management company...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      If he/she is from outside the EU and working via an umbrella company then the chances are that arrangement is illegal never mind taking a second contract.
      And what makes you so sure that this illegal?

Comment

There are lots of people tax but this does not mean that the work arrangement is legal. Normally, a work permit would be sponsored, or a company transfer visa or you would have a visa for “highly skilled” workers status in which case you would be free to move from employer to employer. However, none of the visas are indented to be used to work under umbrella companies.

I do have friends from South Africa and Ghana doing the same and I know the limitations of the system. The problem is that the UK visa system is massively over subscribed and massively abused
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

There are lots of people tax but this does not mean that the work arrangement is legal. Normally, a work permit would be sponsored, or a company transfer visa or you would have a visa for “highly skilled” workers status in which case you would be free to move from employer to employer. However, none of the visas are indented to be used to work under umbrella companies.

I do have friends from South Africa and Ghana doing the same and I know the limitations of the system. The problem is that the UK visa system is massively over subscribed and massively abused
          What about this second contract thing in EU then??? Should I go for it???

Comment

Silly question I know but how will you get paid for this work?

Comment

However, none of the visas are indented to be used to work under umbrella companies.
              HSMP visa allows to do that without problems, or start your own company, or just be permanent employee.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Silly question I know but how will you get paid for this work?
                I think it will be through some umbrella company in uk i guess...but definitely in uk...
                Last edited by sunnyboy; 2 August 2010, 15:44.

Comment

I am working in germany for which i have a work visa...but I can travel wherever in EU...
                  How does that work? Working in Germany and being paid in the UK although you're not British?

I don't know how German visas work, but I highly suspect that you have a Schengen visa - and you need to look up the rules for that. It basically allows you to travel (for the purpose of your business or for leisure) in countries signed up to the Schengen agreement: the UK is NOT one of them (I'm guessing you have a chance to work in the UK; why else would you be on a UK site?).

It is not permission to work around Europe for different companies: in fact that would give you equal status with a European citizen - which you are not - and for that reason it's not allowed.

You are a 'guest worker' in whichever country gave you your job and work permit (ie. Germany) - when that employment comes to an end, you are expected to leave and return to your 'home' country. IANAL but I think what you are doing is not going to be legal.
                  Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    HSMP visa allows to do that without problems, or start your own company, or just be permanent employee.
                    In your day; yes. Not any more, the system has changed.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

No I am not British/EU

but the other client is in another EU country and has an urgent requirement for only a week...

So I think I can go there, do the job, come back in a week...and noone will notice when I came and went :-p
                      Most likely, you have a Schengen visa permitting you to travel with the Schengen zone. You do not (probably) have a Schengen wide work permit. Therefore you will probably be breaking the law of the other country.

If you are caught, you may find that you are blacklisted from the Schengen zone altogether. And good riddance for abusing the system.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X