• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Money vs Home - who wins?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family and friends win every time, Sal - don't listen to anyone who has neither.

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Only in your opinion, don't be definitive with a matter that is subjective unless you have compelling evidence.
    BBC's 'Escape to the country' is hardly full of 40-somethings trying to move into the city, is it?
    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Indeed.

No amount of money can buy your child's trust, respect & love. I'm a bad example as I live and work in a different country to my little man and although he likes coming to Germany to visit I know he'd rather have daddy at home every night and much as I like having my free time I'd rather have him than CUK of an evening.
      Kids are over-rated. Except mine

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
        Family and friends win every time, Sal - don't listen to anyone who has neither.

BBC's 'Escape to the country' is hardly full of 40-somethings trying to move into the city, is it?

Is that everyone? Well I know for a fact that the crowd of 40-somethings I'm a part of much prefer living in a city than the country so the statement I was objecting to was 'that the quality of life is higher in the country' is not true for everyone. Might be true for 70% of people, but not everyone. For me I hated living in rural towns and villages during my service days, boring, small minded and no facilities. The countryside is nice to visit even for a few weeks, but those long cold grey winter days with everything at least an hours drive away, keep it.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post

Well no, but the clue is sort of, erm, in the title of the programme.

It's interesting in terms of spatial demographics. In the turd world and developing world, many many people are moving into urban areas looking for work, including middle aged people. Birth rates then fall, as urban familes (worldwide) tend to have less children than rural families. Kids from smaller families grow up in the city with economic opportunities; some then do well, and many of those who become wealthy middle class people move back out of the city to the provinces. However, net migration to cities worldwide is still higher than migration out of cities; it seems that the difference between the two is much smaller in developed countries than others, but I think if you see the statistics most western cities are growing; the exceptions are places like Detroit, where an industry has died and the city no longer provides economic opportunities. But there, people aren't likely to move out to little villages, but to another city to find the work they know; their skills are rarely suited to the rural economy.

I'll stop before this turns into an essay. I got a degree in this tulipe so I could go on all bloody week about it.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
            I just want to be at home. I just miss my husband - he's my best mate and sick of not being able to meet him for a pint after work, or sit and watch tulipe documentaries together, and cuddle up with each other...
            There's no amount of money that could keep me in London any longer (well...within reason like)
            I just left a fairly long term contract in Berkshire for a lower paid one in London so that I could be home every night. My kids are only 2 and 4 years old and I wanted to be around them as much as I could and I missed Mrs Mustang. We all talked on the phone but it wasnt the same....!

Sure the money is an issue but I will have plenty of other opportunities down the line to earn some more money but never a second chance to play Daddy to my two kids.

S-A - you made the right call IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by markinbrussels View Post
              Well. That's the point. If you can afford it.

Yes the countryside is full of economic failures, drongos, the mentally feeble and congebnital inbred idiots. That s why I prefer living in the prosperous parts of London.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Yes the countryside is full of economic failures, drongos, the mentally feeble and congebnital inbred idiots. That s why I prefer living in the prosperous parts of London.
                Did you forget how to type? C-
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Very few people seem to be factoring into their responses the fact that for the OP, "home" constitutes Sunderland!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                  X