• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC PC's?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC PC's?

Met chief accuses media of racism

Sir Ian Blair mentioned the lack of media coverage of recent murders
    Metropolitan Police chief Sir Ian Blair has accused the media of "institutional racism" in its reporting of murders.
    The head of London's police said murders in minority communities appeared "not to interest the mainstream media".

He highlighted the difference in coverage of the recent murders of white lawyer Tom ap Rhys Pryce and Asian builders' merchant Balbir Matharu.

He was speaking at the Metropolitan Police Authority's monthly meeting.

'Same resources'

He had been asked if the capital's police gave a "proportional response" to all murders.

"I am pretty furious. We do devote the same level of resources to murders in relation to their difficulty," he said.

"What the difference is, is how these are reported. I actually believe that the media is guilty of institutional racism in the way they report deaths.

"That death of the young lawyer was terrible, but an Asian man was dragged to his death, a woman was chopped up in Lewisham, a chap shot in the head in a Trident murder - they got a paragraph on page 97.

There are other dreadful crimes which do not become the greatest story in Britain

Sir Ian Blair

"With one or two exceptions, clearly Damilola Taylor was one, the reporting of murder in minority communities appears not to interest the mainstream media," Sir Ian said.

He said the capital's police had to respond to media interest.

He said that while the murders of two schoolgirls in Soham in 2002 were "dreadful crimes" but he had been surprised at how much coverage the murders received.

"Let's be absolutely straight. It was a dreadful crime, nobody is suggesting anything else.

"But there are other dreadful crimes which do not become the greatest story in Britain and that did for that August period

I can't help wondering how this sort of story is going to affect recruitment into the police force - this bloke is a complete liability IMHO

I just wonder how many other concurrent murders go unreported in the national media - I'm sure it's just what the media can gain for a story to increase their sales regardless of race.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Hang on a minute Ian

if the media were to report the true number of crimes only in London they would be accused of being racist because more non-whites commit crimes in London. (Yes yes and the victims are more often than not non-white, but nonetheless). Perhaps there should be a quota system, you can only nick a non-white perpetrator if you already have a white one nicked this week, and no muslims unless you have 15 christians nicked.

Actually I do have a real question for Ian Blair.
      Why the **** don't you do your job instead of getting your name in the papers every ******* week.
      Why not?

Comment

IB has nothing to apologise for because all he is doing is pointing out a fact.

Why he had to apologise to the soham families for his comments just goes to show the sh1t storm the media can create when they dont like something!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
          IB has nothing to apologise for because all he is doing is pointing out a fact.

Why he had to apologise to the soham families for his comments just goes to show the sh1t storm the media can create when they dont like something!

Mailman
          What he has to apologise for is concentrating on being politically correct rather than ensuring a reduction in crime in this country which, I believe, is what he is paid for. What does it matter how the media reports a crime as long as the criminal is caught. I also wonder why the ethnic minority communities are so keen to put themselves before a media circus in times of great tragedy
          Last edited by John Galt; 27 January 2006, 13:03.

Comment

Weren't the girls missing for a few days until they were found dead? In which case it was hardly surprising it got a lot of media attention - the police needed information fast.

I was just thinking of the murders that I most remember from their media attention. Apart from the Soham two, the victims have mostly been black, like Damiola Taylor, those two girls at the party in Birmingham, the lad in Liverpool, the boy in Millwall when the white suspects were caught on film making racist comments. What was the Beccan girl in Nottingham, black or white? It doesn't matter though, does it.

Ian Blair is one of those bum-squirmingly patronising politicians from the same mould as Cherie "you muslims are so desperate you have to blow yourselves up" Blair. I wish he'd just feck off and do his job, preferably without his officers shooting innocent people dead on the underground.

Comment

Hmmm.

It seems to me also that when white blokes like the lawyer in question are murdered by blacks (which, proportional to population, happens more often than the other way round) it can attract a lot less attention than the opposite situation. We never seemed to stop hearing about Stephen Lawrence umpteen years after the event and I don't see any plaques in the street to that lawyer or the kids that were killed on Hungerford bridge.

There may well be racism in reporting, but there also seems to be at least as much inverted racism, i.e. political correctness, of the "minorities can do no wrong" sort.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Confused Copper...

Does this halfwit know what his job is?

Does he know why he wears a uniform beyond thinking he looks good on TV/in the papers?

Is constant marxist bleating in his job description?

Is there any chance that crime will reduce with this muppet in uniform?

Comment

Working...
                X