• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would a contractor do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    I'd rather be a nob (you cant even spell it correctly!) than a *unt like you any day of the week. Get back on your sofa in your chuddies.
    knob
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

TBH it depends on what this 30% drop will mean to your quality of life and how good the new gig really is.

If you're sat on a cash cow with no pressure, as others have said, work on plan b, skill up, or find a way of making it more interesting. If it really is dead end (and I've yet to see that in a role that pays top $) and the commute is affecting home life then jump.

Sounds like your sat on 18 months work at your current gig and are happy with the rate. This is gold dust. Unless of course your home life is suffering. If it's just boring, get more involved,

Only you can judge this though.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I'd jack and take the local one.
        Same here. **** 3.5 hours in a car.

Comment

Project, Location, Rate.

The local gig sounds better, considering you've got kids.

Also spend the extra time having a good look at your tax situation.... You may be missing a (legitimate) trick or two which would soften the blow to your finances.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by ojock View Post
            You're on a contract which pays an excellent daily rate, however the workload is non-existent and the commute isn't great (about 3.5hrs round trip). Given the long time you've been on the project, this contract has the potential to go on till 2011 and maybe even early 2012.

You've been offered a contract elsewhere which is 10minute from home (family with kids) with what appears to be interesting work as well, but it means taking a 30% pay cut.

Would you terminate your existing contract early and jump?

Just wonder what people's priorities are in this present climate.
            The fact the workload is very low would be a plus point to me, IF the commute was less horrible. You're 'working' 3 hours longer every day which is about 30% (or a bit more) extra. So your effective hourly rate is similar on both contracts.

If the commute was nice I'd take the money and try to find something to do, like work on a plan B project, learn new technologies, read the complete works of Shakespeare, ....

Can't you just tell them "I'm going to work from home when not needed on site"? You can offer an extra hour of being available each day in return, or something.

Or maybe you can get a substitute... sounds like anyone would do if the work is so little... pay them 60% of your good rate and they'll be happy.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by cnch View Post
              I would prefer interesting work for less money.

Also depends on whether or not you want to spend time with your spouse. Personally speaking I was always glad to escape.
              WHS - I turned down an extension last year because the role was in London and there was nothing to do for 7 1/2 hours of the 8 I spent on site each day.

Spend time with the family - you'll never get that time back again, and will miss seeing the children grow up. I know I do.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                WHS - I turned down an extension last year because the role was in London and there was nothing to do for 7 1/2 hours of the 8 I spent on site each day.

Spend time with the family - you'll never get that time back again, and will miss seeing the children grow up. I know I do.
                I don't have any children, so it was just the ex I was escaping from.

Comment

Originally posted by cnch View Post
                  I don't have any children, so it was just the ex I was escaping from.
                  My suggestion is if you think this is the role take it, otherwise stay where you are and keep looking for the role you really want. I think we all have a way of self sabotaging, if we are doing something we don’t want to do. The problem with self sabotage is you don’t know when things are going to blow up, but it is usually at the wrong time!
                  I feel you have some self esteem issues at the moment; otherwise you would not even be looking at a role paying 30% less. Get out there do some exercise, have a night out, whatever it takes, get yourself back together. Get yourself in a better frame of mind before you decide anything.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Take the second gig and exercise your right of substitution on the first making a margin in the process. You are a proper contractor aren't you ?

Comment

Is the rate on the new gig enough? Will you be able to cintinue building a war chest? If so I'd say switch to the new gig. For me the work is important, I want a challenge and enjoy nothing more than something really difficult. A job with not much to do is the worst thing for me. Combine that with something closer to home and you have to ask the question about whether that extra 30% is enough to take you away from your home and make you bored every day.
                      Loopy Loo

Comment

Working...
                      X