• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you not go on a booked holiday to secure a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Take the role.
    Sounds like a brammer, and a good "in" for future work.
    The missus will come round.............eventually...........they always do.
    You will get earache for it sure, but if it was not for that it would only be for some other hormonally-skewed notion anyway.
    You know it makes sense.
    Besides, a holiday with the in-laws and various other family groups? Sounds like a real recipe for disaster!

HTH

WHS
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

MF - are you looking for a reason not to go away with the outlaws? If yes, contract sounds like a great idea.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

So I would do the following:

Try to arrange the holiday with the new client, i.e. say you don't have to take the holiday, so that you don't lose the contract. If not possible, then book another holiday with the wife and kids a few weeks later.

I think the "round the corner" contract is too good an opp.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Is she fit??
          She's not bad. Bit skinny.

I understand she ****s on first dates but her dad doesn't own a brewery. Hence she's single.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I usually take at least 3 weeks off in Aug. Our family holiday is in that that time and I actually enjoy being with my husband & child and - whaddya know, they like me being around on holiday too

I would NEVER cancel a planned holiday with my family over work. And no, I don't have loads of money in the bank, but I do want to spend time, having fun with the people I love.

I don't see why you cant say when you'll be away to the potentional new contract, if you're good and they want you they may well wait for you.
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
              I usually take at least 3 weeks off in Aug. Our family holiday is in that that time and I actually enjoy being with my husband & child and - whaddya know, they like me being around on holiday too

I would NEVER cancel a planned holiday with my family over work. And no, I don't have loads of money in the bank, but I do want to spend time, having fun with the people I love.

I don't see why you cant say when you'll be away to the potentional new contract, if you're good and they want you they may well wait for you.
              I have emailed the agent to give my availability and that I have a holiday booked. So basically they have to wait two weeks, I could do a week, be out a week and then 100% available afterwards.

I expect not to get the offer.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                My contract finishes in 3 weeks. I have a two week notice.

I have been asked by a new clientco to start immediately. They have said that at max they will wait for a two week notice, but this has only occurred because the two other candidates screwed up their interviews.

I have a holiday booked in 4 weeks with the inlaws, missus and kids.

My missus wants me to tell the new client I have a holiday booked(one week after I start with them). I have told her, this would be unacceptable and that they would subsequently not offer me the contract in the first place! She can still go with her, the inlaws, kids and her sister and family. I would just work on. The role is for two months, 3 miles from the house and on £400 per day.

My question is.... Would you cancel a holiday to secure the role, or say balls I'm going on holiday and take pot luck?
                Can't you work from "home"?
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  Can't you work from "home"?
                  No. Plus the contract is about 5 minutes from my house. It basically is home!!!

I won't get it now anyway.

Comment

No. Plus the contract is about 5 minutes from my house. It basically is home!!!

I won't get it now anyway.
                    I bet you do.

Also that they want you so badly that they'll give you a rate increase before you even start.

Or that's what you'll tell us.

In future leave that kind of bollocks to Milan.

Comment

I have a holiday booked in 4 weeks with the inlaws, missus and kids.

My missus wants me to tell the new client I have a holiday booked(one week after I start with them). I have told her, this would be unacceptable and that they would subsequently not offer me the contract in the first place!
                      do you really think they'll pull the contract? Are they so tight on planning that they'd rather do without their first choice of contractor than let him have a week's holiday with his family and cope with the work being completed in 9 weeks rather than 8? Tell the truth and let them deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X