• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you not go on a booked holiday to secure a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they don't like the idea of the holiday, they will presumably communicate that, giving you the chance to ditch the holiday. But they may also be Ok with it..

I agree that a role so close to home can't be easily ignored. Good luck.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      If they don't like the idea of the holiday, they will presumably communicate that, giving you the chance to ditch the holiday. But they may also be Ok with it..

I agree that a role so close to home can't be easily ignored. Good luck.
      When the agent saw the reply, he said. Well thats an August start. I'll ask them....
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        When the agent saw the reply, he said. Well thats an August start. I'll ask them....
        If they don't like it, they will ask is there no chance you can start earlier. You can say, well - yes. They will like you all the more.

If they don't mind it, you get to please the other half.

Sorted.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

No. Plus the contract is about 5 minutes from my house. It basically is home!!!

I won't get it now anyway.

I have carried on with a couple of projects while on holiday and I used VPN without problems but, if you have to change tapes; it’s a different scenario.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            I have carried on with a couple of projects while on holiday and I used VPN without problems
            That's not what I would call a holiday.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I have a holiday booked in 4 weeks with the inlaws, missus and kids.
              Sounds like a good excuse to me

What chance is there of arranging a replacement holiday with the client? Does you not going mean that your wife and kids and inlaws have to cancel as well?
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                Sounds like a good excuse to me

What chance is there of arranging a replacement holiday with the client? Does you not going mean that your wife and kids and inlaws have to cancel as well?
                No they can all go. It's a ******* caravan park FFS! Who the **** goes on holiday to a ******* caravan park in the ******* UK. It'll be full of chavs and other assorted ******* *****!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  I have carried on with a couple of projects while on holiday and I used VPN without problems but, if you have to change tapes; it’s a different scenario.
                  Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  That's not what I would call a holiday.
                  Nice one Dood!!

Paddy goes for patronising..... and here is Dood... Ker-Chick BOOM! Shot and Burned!!!
                  Paddy down in flames.........

Here have some rep.....

Comment

No they can all go. It's a ******* caravan park FFS! Who the **** goes on holiday to a ******* caravan park in the ******* UK. It'll be full of chavs and other assorted ******* *****!
                    It sounds clearer now.

a) take the contract and get grief from the missus
                    b) insist on the holiday and get your "duty" over and done with; you may still get the contract

the advantage of a) is that you not only get the contract in the bag (it sounds like an opportunity not to be missed), but you can reschedule a more interesting holiday for a later date
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                      Nice one Dood!!

Paddy goes for patronising..... and here is Dood... Ker-Chick BOOM! Shot and Burned!!!
                      Paddy down in flames.........

Here have some rep.....
                      May the sweaty smell of a thousand camel testacies haunt your sleep
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X