• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Laws Do You Want Repealed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or as Ian Hislop joked on Have I Got News For You a few weeks back

"Which Laws do you want to get rid of?" asked Nick Clegg.

"David," answered the Daily Telegraph...

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Phase 2: Select * from Laws where enacteddate >= "1-may-1997"
      I read somewhere (so it must be true) that a good chunk of all of our laws have effectively been repealed/updated/replaced etc. since 1997.

Maybe this is just normal over a period of 13 years, but it did feel that Labour created a lot of legislation for the sake of it. I suppose the 650 MP's have to justify their existance somehow...

Comment

Most of the acts brought in by Labour were "Enabling Acts" which are allowed to be altered by Statutory Instrument - which basically means the home secretary can vary any law he/she feels like.

I'd like to get rid of that and have proper parliamentary scrutiny applied to all changes of law.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Can I have a new law please to stop the government spending millions of our pounds developing stupid websites ?

Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I would like to make it legal to walk my pot bellied pig on public streets in West Yorkshire again. Disgraceful law I tell you.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I would like to make it legal to walk my pot bellied pig on public streets in West Yorkshire again. Disgraceful law I tell you.
              Are there not more than enough pot-bellied honkers already walking the streets of West Yorkshire?
              If anything, this law ought to be getting extended to cover all manifestations of Trufflehunter!!
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Most of the acts brought in by Labour were "Enabling Acts" which are allowed to be altered by Statutory Instrument - which basically means the home secretary can vary any law he/she feels like.

I'd like to get rid of that and have proper parliamentary scrutiny applied to all changes of law.
                Aye. Also known as Henry VIII clauses

Such clauses have often proved highly controversial — for instance, that in the Nationality, Immigration & Asylum Act 2002 which prompted the aforementioned report, and more recently the Legislative and Regulatory Reform Act 2006.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Not that I want to be your king, or that I am in line for it but...

Act of Settlement 1701.

Being a Catholic I am banned from the position.

Tony said he was working on it but fox hunting got in the way.

Comment

Not really a law, but NDNAD should be switched off.

The National DNA Database is a Human Rights disgrace. Regardless of it's ability to solve crime 'after' the fact, this is a Science Fact nightmare waiting to happen!!

You cannot even trust the Inland Revenue or MI5 to keep their hat on basic security, what the hell do you think is going to happen as the use of Genetic Profiling, Replication and Cloning increases and scientific processes improve.

F**K the basic law, you people really should be up in arms about NDNAD!
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

All the 'nanny state' laws.

Thou shalt wear a seatbelt
                      Thou shalt wear a motorcycle helmet (unless thou happens to wear a turban)

etc.

Cycle helmets will no doubt be next.

I do, and always will wear a seatbelt. But if I choose not to, that's my prerogative shirley?

Comment

Working...
                      X