• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adobe Flash Security Update Tries to Install McAfee Adware

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to Adobe... I uninstallaed adobe acrobat reader a few weeks ago and I've been using foxit reader instead.
    Much much smaller footprint on my hard drive and it works perfectly and quicker than the adobe offering.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

AV products like McAfee and Nortons are a bitch to completely remove.

Would suggest you download the McAfee Removal Tool and run that after you have uninstalled McAfee via Add/Remove Programs.

With regards the flash update, I've installed this on 2 PC's now and each time there has been no McAfee tick box.

Weird - anyone else have that?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        With regards the flash update, I've installed this on 2 PC's now and each time there has been no McAfee tick box.

Weird - anyone else have that?
        I think it's only the web update that does it. The auto update process seems to be mcafee free
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          I think it's only the web update that does it. The auto update process seems to be mcafee free
          Cool - thought I may have missed it.

Comment

Useful thread. Might use that security essentials rather than renew my subscription to Bullguard when it expires. Always love to save money me.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Kaperski seems pretty good, and doesn't thrash the system trying to scan my millions of files.

The most annoying thing about Norton was the stupid way it would *ask* before removing a virus, as if the virus might be a cherished possession I'd be heartbroken to lose!

(and then, to cap it all, once one clicked the removal option, more often than not Norton was unable to remove it!! mad )
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Ah, McAfee appears to have gone without a struggle. I did just spend an hour trying to get Windows Defender working though, but late in the day I discovered that Microsoft Security Essentials (which I have installed now) turns it off, and does a pretty good job of not allowing it be turned on too. Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials. D'oh!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Does anyone know what exactly the Windows Malicious Software tool does?
                  Yes. It eats internal memory and gives you nothing in return.

A bit like McAfee.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Just for the record I updated Flash on my Mac yesterday, and no offers of extra software were seen.

I did have to search a bit to find out how to check for the current version installed. One would have thought that the Adobe site would have come high in Google, but a site belonging to a Bob came #1

Visit www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ to check your current version of Flash. Note that you need to enable both JavaScript and Flash for that page to work.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                      Just for the record I updated Flash on my Mac yesterday, and no offers of extra software were seen.
                      I just tried their download page; for Safari Mac it offered nothing extra. Using Safari's User Agent switcher, I pretended to be on IE (6,7,8, all Windows of course) and it offered the Google toolbar (with installation enabled by default). Pretending to be Firefox on Windows, it offered the McAfee thingy (again, installation enabled by default). Pretending to be Opera on Windows and Safari on Windows, it offered nothing.

I tried it several times for each, and it seems that it's only Firefox users who get the McAfee thingy thrust at them for some strange reason

Comment

Working...
                      X