• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    If you can live comfortably on the current rate I'd stay where you are, saying that I had a chance to earn 3x my normal rate on a 5 month contract when my daughter was only a few months old but I turned it down just before the biggest recession in modern history... seriously regretting that decision now.
    You working now?
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      So, been offered a six month contract, with probable extension. I am already in contract until August, at a (very) local gig, and have been told I'm forecast to be extended to November.

My current role is fine, the rate is quite low, but I like the team and it is 2 miles away from home.

Newly offered role pays a lot more, but involves more travel, being around 40 miles away. Not a massive distance, but now, I have a small child to consider.

It would be good for the CV and would enable me to squirrel away a significant amount more in savings for our future, but might make picking him up from nursery occasionally difficult.

Even though family would help where needed I'm sure, it might mean I am not able to put him to bed at times. Not sure I like the idea of that.

Should I be doing all I can to stay local now, or be thinking of the long game and aiming to save more so that I can be around more when he's older perhaps?

Stay put for now MP. You won't get this time again with the little 'un. There will always be other contracts, but the sprog will only pass this way once, and you will regret missing any of it for a few extra bob. All IMHO of course.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

You working now?
        Yes, I'm in a permy role close to home.

I'm still looking for a contract role but the rate, duration and potential for extension has to meet a my criteria before I apply.

I'm beginning to sense frustration from some agents when I won't entertain some of their potential gigs as I'm no longer desperate... which is nice.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

5:30 ?? How awesome are you, we are working on controlled crying between 7 and 8pm which is tough but working and also gives me time after work.
          Young kids adapt pretty easy and it is also too easy to ascribe any behaviour to a minor change and feel guilty about decisions.
          Different for you as single mum but 40 miles is still doable and with support I wouldn't write this off if it is a good opportunity. On the other hand, keeping a local gig happy might be useful in the future for repeat business.
          Oh and don't ever expect any kid to be grateful, it just isn't in their nature.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
            5:30 ?? How awesome are you.
            I normally get home around 4:15pm.

Yes, a permie role, but 60 miles from home.

I am able to work 7-3 to avoid the traffic to enable me to commute daily

Comment

I say stick. You have enough new stuff going on right now.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I tend to agree with the consensus.... Stick to local and get as much time as you can being Mummy....
                Money won't buy back the time.......

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                  I tend to agree with the consensus.... Stick to local and get as much time as you can being Mummy....
                  Money won't buy back the time.......
                  In the end it's what you really want to do irrespective of money. If you are comfortably off now and can get by, wait and see what gets offered in teh next 6 months.

If your preference is with being with your child, then stick with that.

After all fexibility is why we all contract.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

So, been offered a six month contract.... Should I be doing all I can to stay local now, or be thinking of the long game and aiming to save more so that I can be around more when he's older perhaps?
                    any chance you can mix and match? if not say get the childminding support in place and go for the cv and bank balance enhancing job. november will be round before you know it. travel is inevitable so get the skillset right to make the sacrifice worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                      5:30 ?? How awesome are you, we are working on controlled crying between 7 and 8pm which is tough but working and also gives me time after work.
                      Young kids adapt pretty easy and it is also too easy to ascribe any behaviour to a minor change and feel guilty about decisions.
                      Different for you as single mum but 40 miles is still doable and with support I wouldn't write this off if it is a good opportunity. On the other hand, keeping a local gig happy might be useful in the future for repeat business.
                      Oh and don't ever expect any kid to be grateful, it just isn't in their nature.
                      Oops, kiddy talk, we might get shot Luke.

He's one in a week, and is still a fairly bad sleeper during the night, but yes, his bedtime is never later than 6pm - but probs cos he's tired from bad nights!

A couple of v good points from everyone - thank you. Will sleep on it...
                      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                      X