• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where does one stand in this situation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

totally understand where you are coming from

but hey, not my fault if they cant provide the right tools or documents and did tell them before but nothing came of it. if they want to blame others, just shows that they cannot accept their own wrong doings or listen.

there were no daily or regular meetings either! I mean come on, thats like P/Mmgt 101

Comment

Anyone gets cocky with me and they will be spoken to. If they get out of line again I will speak to them outside.

Comment

agreed and thats the way I would do things however it was impossible as this guy was based in France (british, but moved to france)..... so only method of comms was by telephone!

Comment

Fair enough, sorry to be harsh, looks like you have had a tough time and need a sounding board.
          I have tried to cause significant change in various places but unless I was in a role senior enough to do this, it was usually unwelcome and severely weakened my position. People just can't deal with someone telling them the place is a joke because they take it personally. Maybe I should still be like this but I like getting paid.
          You need to talk to the agent but only to limit possible damage and walk away, if you have specifics let them know but don't bother with a huge explanation it will just sound like whinging and that a nasty man said horrible things to you.

Comment

interesting.

well they kinda called me towards the end of the day (the agency). saying that they are expecting a 2 week additional invoice (so from last week up until 14th of June) which is odd. they also said that the client doesnt want me to go there unless I need to pick up personal property - how insulting to some extent.

WOW..... they turn it around. interesting.

Comment

You should get paid for last week. Fill in zero hours for this week.

It doesn't sound like the agent was surprised - I wonder why?
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

no idea. i even interviewed candidates for this job as they required 2 contractors including me and they never even went for any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Anyone gets cocky with me and they will be spoken to. If they get out of line again I will speak to them outside.
                  After reading the thread I see lots of good replies for lots of different situations but I am sorry I have to say I don't think the OP has handled this in the best way at all and to be a little bit mean has wimped out here. The bottom line for me was this was all by telephone. He can dish it but the OP can't say his piece and stand his ground?? Something is not right there. Now I have dealt with the French and I have found their literal translation to be very straightforward in the past so I would bet my last dollar this is part of it. They may say the words due but not totally mean it due to translation.

I copy Minestrones reply in as I don't know if this was meant tongue in cheek but I have done this twice in my career and it worked. Both times we never resolved the issue but he certainly knew I wouldn't take it so from there on work was frosty but that was all.

I didn't see what level of position you were in but I would expect a business owner and seasoned contractor in a senior postion to have dealt with this in a much firmer way. Talk to the person, find what his problem is and try and resolve, if that don't work make it clear in no uncertain terms him card is marked. Gather evidence and then chat to his managers, HR, the agent and so on and THEN finally walk.

Sorry to the OP, must be horrible situation you were in as bullying isn't nice but something doesn't sound right about this and I think there are two sides to this story.

Sorry, didn't see this which kind of adds to my firm stance...

they also said that the client doesnt want me to go there unless I need to pick up personal property - how insulting to some extent.
                  it is not insulting at all not being allowed back on to site. It is business. You threw your cards in and you think the client is being insulting??? This shores up my opinion this story isn't the real situation. Sorry
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 7 June 2010, 18:12.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I dont think you understood the whole situation im afraid. there comes a point when enough is enough, everyone is different - we all cannot be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by firehawk View Post
                      I dont think you understood the whole situation im afraid. there comes a point when enough is enough, everyone is different - we all cannot be the same.
                      There does indeed but I don't see enough evidence to show that all methods were used to try and deal with the situation in a professional way before throwing in the towel in thats all.

I see two different issues which could be linked but now how you are suggesting it. I see a warning and a pay cut due to your work which isn't a decision made lightly and by one person, I also see a colleague allegedly bullying you for not being good.

Which one of the two are you saying is wrong and are not happy with? The bullying or the warnings?

You are right however I do not understand the full situation as I don't know your role and the other side etc... I am just responding to what I am reading on here and apologies if I am firing wide off the mark.
                      Last edited by northernladuk; 7 June 2010, 18:23.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X