• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Copyright Infringement!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the company is not small, two different departments might not be talking. I'd get in touch immediately and point out how much business you do, and say that while you're happy to work with them on agreeing something, unless they retract the threats you'll no longer work with them and will send back any stock (if that's possible).

If you link directly to their website images, they may have a script to auto-detect this which led to some process being followed. I'd say doing this is a bad move.

Hope you get it sorted out, I'd personally start on a polite "you must have made a misunderstanding" tack but could understand you having a bit of a go... let us know how it goes?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Suing their customers? They must have hired a lawyer from the music industry

As d000hg says, it's probably a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. If you contact their sales manager/director and point out that this isn't the way to engender good customer relations, I'm sure they'll find a way to sort it out, either by licensing you to use their images or agreeing that, if you take them down, they'll say no more about it.

A friend of mine is a commercial photographer who does product shots and his standard contract allows the client an unlimited license to use his work for their own purposes, but not for anybody else to use it. If this company has entered into a similar deal then it may be that they are getting grief off whoever did their product shots about your unlicensed use of them, but even so they should have realised that there are more tactful ways of dealing with the matter than a letter like that.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Suing their customers? They must have hired a lawyer from the music industry

As d000hg says, it's probably a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. If you contact their sales manager/director and point out that this isn't the way to engender good customer relations, I'm sure they'll find a way to sort it out, either by licensing you to use their images or agreeing that, if you take them down, they'll say no more about it.

A friend of mine is a commercial photographer who does product shots and his standard contract allows the client an unlimited license to use his work for their own purposes, but not for anybody else to use it. If this company has entered into a similar deal then it may be that they are getting grief off whoever did their product shots about your unlicensed use of them, but even so they should have realised that there are more tactful ways of dealing with the matter than a letter like that.
        Suing their customers! Unreal hey!

Thanks for all comments. I think the Left - Hand right hand is probably correct and possibly an issue with the photographer. It may well be that even though it's their furniture, they have a deal with the photographer.

It's interesting because, they actually provide a Trade Only website with high quality images, dimensions and descriptions to sell to a retailer. They do not sell to the public. You can also request a catalogue which is pretty good(but not electronic) which you can put in your shop and walk through with customers. Of course, all customers these day ask to take it away(it's massive) or is it on the web. You can't point a customer to someone elses website because a) It's someone elses, and b) It doesn't have the price I wish to sell at.

Frankly they haven't incurred any losses and I am gobsmacked at receiving a legal letter. As said, no way is it getting signed, and I have emailed the Sales manager to ask what they are doing, as we were planning to spend another £5k with them this year and do they no longer want our business!
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

i'd be calling them up to see if they did actually send the legal letter, just check it aint some sort of scam doing the rounds etc.

I run a couple of sites myself and never have a problem with images as you say most suppliers have a stock of images/descriptions to use etc, but personally i find it best to take some original images to stand out from the crowd

then you hold the copyright to the images

Comment

Sounds bleedin' stoopid. Do you know who else sells their stuff? Have they got images on their website?

Comment

and there you go. Left hand and right hand.

Supplier has just signed an exclusive 12 month deal for one Internet retailer to use their images.

The guy granted exclusivity then searched the internet and drew up a list of companies using the images and then with the agreement of supplier, sent out threatening solicitor letters to the suppliers customers(and people who had pinched the images)

There are a number of companies who are using the images and heavily discounting the product. Supplier has said they never place orders and hence aren't customers, but they have problems with people searching and then asking retailers to match the prices.

They have apologised and said I should never have been threatened! Big apology and letter of agreement to use images coming in post.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Result!

The bit about non-suppliers using the images to advertise stuff at knock down prices does show that it pays to keep an eye on who uses your images.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Supplier has just signed an exclusive 12 month deal for one Internet retailer to use their images.

The guy granted exclusivity then searched the internet and drew up a list of companies using the images and then with the agreement of supplier, sent out threatening solicitor letters to the suppliers customers(and people who had pinched the images)

There are a number of companies who are using the images and heavily discounting the product. Supplier has said they never place orders and hence aren't customers, but they have problems with people searching and then asking retailers to match the prices.

They have apologised and said I should never have been threatened! Big apology and letter of agreement to use images coming in post.
                    Interesting how the legal letters were all sent out to reach you on Friday so you had the weekend to "sweat" over it. C-astards.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Rather than left-right, this sounds more like opening mouth before engaging brain! If these are existing images then a moments thought would yield that they would be in use somewhere so entering into an exclusive deal was bound to cause some arguments down the line. Now, if they have agreed that you can use them, they are not in an exclusive deal.

I have warned about using other peoples images, logo's etc before on CUK. I hope others will also learn from your adventures.

And ...... nice to get a result.
                      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                      X