• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So much for going down the plumbing route

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I'd charge at least that for a half day's work to include materials and who's to say programmers are more valuable than plumbers other than the market?

Vote with your free market feet and decline to engage the fellow. If you cannot find anyone to do it for less, put up with a f*cked carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by Xena
      I know I'd charge at least that for a half day's work to include materials and who's to say programmers are more valuable than plumbers other than the market?

Vote with your free market feet and decline to engage the fellow. If you cannot find anyone to do it for less, put up with a f*cked carpet.
      Or do it yourself

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
        Or do it yourself
        Or claim on your insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Xena
          Its not the point - the point is that a very small job that can't take more than 3 hours was priced at £200, thus doing two such jobs a day one can achieve £400, of which materials can't possibly be more than £50 - lets not forget its 3 sq meters.

Conclusion is therefore these low tech local jobs (no need to travel far) priced very nicely.

Comment

Compared to what I earn it seems fair for a Mr Fixit to charge £200 for a half day job including materials, travel, sundry expenses, etc. He probably won't be able to get a job for the other half of the day so may be operating a "no job less than one day" quoting policy to discourage timewasters.

Why not claim on your insurance?

Comment

Well as a former and now occasional Piano Tuner I charged 60 pounds for a piano tuning and that can take from 45 minutes to an 75 depending on the pianos tuning pins stablity, frequency of tuning etc .

If people can tune the piano for themselves they are welcome to try, that is if they care to invest the money for the correct tools and of course dont mind if they damage the piano tuning pins or worse,the piano soundboard, as novices all to often do.

Notwithstanding the fact that it does take quite a considerable time to learn the tuning harmonic theory etc , and tune lots of pianos before one can really do an accurate tuning.

Meanwhile, as I continue my Fatwa against the Plumbing Sector here is a very useful link from the Independent on how to fix those basic plumbing problems and save yourself a few Zlotys in the process.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle339397.ece
              Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 18 January 2006, 16:21.

Comment

Originally posted by The Master
                Why not claim on your insurance?
                I am not paying, its not my issue, I merely commented on it as the price exceeded expectation for 3 sq meter utility room.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  I am not paying, its not my issue, I merely commented on it as the price exceeded expectation for 3 sq meter utility room.
                  AtW

The point is here that only people with insurance would cough up this kind of money.

Otherwise,providing you are able bodied, nobody would contemplate spending this kind of money on such a simple task.

However if you are spending the money of an insurer ...

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                    The point is here that only people with insurance would cough up this kind of money.
                    Are you joking or what? This insurance is like magic bullet - when I had some stuff stolen from me the police seems to have assumed I just wanted police reference to claim it on insurance, ffs the job of police is to catch criminals not to take easy route of penpushers!

In this case high rip off charges by those merchants result in high insurance premiums - so YOU who pay anyway, especially with car insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                      Quite. Only some sort of paraplegic couldn't manage to replace the flooring in a 2 x 1.5 metre room themselves.

Comment

Working...
                      X