• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Staying Away: Hotel Tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Plus when the Landlady tells you they always prefer Locally sourced products - check that means something like "local farms and butchers" rather than "the local Tesco"....
    I kid you not!! Tesco brand - Cereals, Jams, Yoghurts, Bread, Milk, Fatty Bacon and Tulip Sausage.

They also had the nerve to sell "Home Made Jam" for £4+ next to the breakfast table!!
    That reminds me of a fellow contractor who swore by his B&B landlady's "Duck à L'Orange". Someone spotted her getting it from the local budget deep freeze place.

Then there was the landlady who only served breakfast from 7:30 onwards. Not at all good when you have an 8 o'clock start.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The Lights dimmed as the talk turned to Basingstoke ...

CUK readers may by aware that for several years I have had a fasincation with Basingstoke - but not having actually visited this modern Shangrila - perhaps one of the Basingstoke contractors might like to post their Basingstake experinces ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
        The Lights dimmed as the talk turned to Basingstoke ...

CUK readers may by aware that for several years I have had a fasincation with Basingstoke - but not having actually visited this modern Shangrila - perhaps one of the Basingstoke contractors might like to post their Basingstake experinces ?
        It's Basingstoke NOT Boringstoke

It's not an awful place to work if you live in SW London because you'll be going against the flow of traffic.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

When I stayed away close to Gatport Airwick a while back I went thru the Spare Rooms web site:

SPARE ROOM for flatshare, house share, flat share & rooms for rent

Came up with a room a short distance from where I worked, with a little old lady (no, I did not get any extras thrown in....) who was glad of the company. It was really nice coming back in the evening, we'd have a quick chat, but when my room door was closed it was completely private. Cost was £300 a month, which was way cheaper than any hotel.

Comment

There is another option:

Commuters Go Camping To Avoid High Rents - Yahoo! News UK

I worked with a guy about 4 years ago where he did exactly that - he had a caravan in a local caravan park (this was outside of London), which he used Mon-Fri - and he would cycle into work, then he would go home to his beloved on the south coast for the weekend. He left the caravan permanently moored 7 days a week.

And he was a permie

Comment

Originally posted by Saddo View Post
              There is another option:

Commuters Go Camping To Avoid High Rents - Yahoo! News UK

I worked with a guy about 4 years ago where he did exactly that - he had a caravan in a local caravan park (this was outside of London), which he used Mon-Fri - and he would cycle into work, then he would go home to his beloved on the south coast for the weekend. He left the caravan permanently moored 7 days a week.

And he was a permie
              I do that, but in a motorhome. On one contract, the DBA did the same: not in a caravan park but in the office car park. We even had a barbie there one evening. Of course that was in Germany, you probably couldn't do it in the UK for some little Hitler (oh the irony) saying it wasn't allowed.
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by JobsAGoodUn View Post
                When I stayed away close to Gatport Airwick a while back I went thru the Spare Rooms web site:

SPARE ROOM for flatshare, house share, flat share & rooms for rent

Renting a room in a professional house share is a great way to get a bit more for your money and good facilities (toaster / washing machine / oven).
                Lots offer short term lets, most prefer 6 months - and have no landlord living on site, so are very relaxed home from home. I would say that the average room price is £85 for a fairly decent double - and around £95+ for an ensuite. You can get a £60 per week single room (all of these have bills and facilities included). It must be a nightmare having to pack everything up to take it home at the end of the week - and so much easier to just walf away and lock the door. You can choose if you want Monday - Friday or to stay there all the time, depends on the landlords / property. There are about 3 good room sites if you have time to find your own, Easyroommate, spareroom, roombuddies. Just bear in mind most of them will want a deposit and advance rent - but is worth it in the long run.

Comment

Currently renting a small granny annexe from a bloke (his granny died a while ago).

Last two hotels I stayed in let me leave a bag there over the weekend so I was lugging less on the train.

I always carry a radiator key (this isn't art of the long-running joke) and have bled the rad several times in chilly hotels!

Comment

I'll be trying a couple of hotels around Earl's Court over the next few weeks to find out what they're like.

I'll nip into a few and see if they'll do me a deal for staying over 3 nights per week.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      I'll be trying a couple of hotels around Earl's Court over the next few weeks to find out what they're like.

I'll nip into a few and see if they'll do me a deal for staying over 3 nights per week.
                      Ere Cojak - no blog entries for a while...

Comment

Working...
                      X