• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why don't the Tories support electoral reform/PR?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Why is PR being underlined? Is this some forum feature?
    It's a subliminal message from our Lib Dem overlords.

Comment

With PR the BNP would have 14 seats...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        yes, and 14 times as much influence as they have now. 14*0%=0%
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          I've never understood the "it'll let the extermists in" argument. If the BNP get enough of the share of the vote nationally, then perhaps they ought to have some MPs. It doesn't mean they're going to be in government.

I think both the Cons and Labs can safely offer the Libs a referrendum on PR because at the moment the mood of the public would be to overwhelmingly vote against it, fearing hung parliments and centre left coallitions for ever and a day.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            yes, and 14 times as much influence as they have now. 14*0%=0%
            According to votes cast, the BNP came 5th in the election, ahead of the Greens, SNP, Plaid Cymru and all the NI parties.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

I think both the Cons and Labs can safely offer the Libs a referrendum on PR because at the moment the mood of the public would be to overwhelmingly vote against it, fearing hung parliments and centre left coallitions for ever and a day.
              True if they said to the general public you have a choice of:
              1. PR like the European parliaments
              2. Preferential voting system like London Mayoral elections
              3. FPTP

Then people would tend to vote against the first choice. It's not only fearing hung parliaments and coalitions its also the fact that people can't identify with their MP with PR.

Quite a few MPs this time got voted out on who they were rather than the party they stood for due to the expenses scandal.

Plus I spoke to some Tory activists in different parts of the SE who made it clear they wouldn't help in a PR system as a lot of the work they do is due to the type of person the particular candidate is.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Quite a few MPs this time got voted out on who they were rather than the party they stood for due to the expenses scandal.
                Nowhere near enough got voted out - Labour got sensational result in my view, which is more than 0!

Comment

If you hold your cursor over PR, it changes to a question mark, and then a tip pops up saying "Page Ranking". I assume this is configurable.

As you were.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Why is PR being underlined? Is this some forum feature?
                    I've just been digging into that. The vBSEO plugin, which confers such worthwhile improvements as having URLs that read /general/55863-why-dont-tories-support-electoral-reform-page-ranking-2.html rather than something like /viewtopic.php?fid=2&tid=55863&p=2, appears to have gained an acronym expansion utility: if you look at the markup, you'll see that PR has been automagically converted to <acronym title="Page Ranking">PR</acronym>. Browsers then use this to provide a tooltip which gives the meaning of the acronym. (This is something browsers have been able to do for years - I think it came in around the IE4/NN4 era.)

This is a good thing in many contexts, as it improves the overall semantics of the document and has accessibility and SEO benefits. However, being a company that sells SEO software, the only acronyms they've pre-defined are "SEO" (Search Engine Optimisation) and "PR" (Page Ranking, derived from the name of one of Google's algorithms).

I'm in two minds about automatic acronym expansion: although it may well be that a post in Technical uses PR to mean PageRank, over here in General it's more likely to mean either Public Relations or Proportional Representation. As the algorithm is based on straightforward pattern-matching and replacement, there's no way it could determine from the context which to use (unlike SKA, CUK is not yet self-aware), so ultimately it fails in its goal of improving the semantics of the document by actually corrupting the meaning. It's also corrupted the URL for this thread

I reckon it should either be turned off, or some effort put into determining a set of commonly-used acronyms that are deserving of expansion and unlikely to be used to mean something else. Whether such effort is worthwhile is for admin to decide, methinks.
                    Last edited by NickFitz; 8 May 2010, 18:18. Reason: Not actually "PageRank"

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      (unlike SKA, CUK is not yet self-aware)
                      And it never will be.

Comment

Working...
                      X