• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

European Union; your thoughts please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    They DON'T. Since the date quoted.
    Was the Tories that stopped exit controls so we don't know who's gone!

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor View Post
      On balance out.

I've went from being very pro-eu to staunchly anti-eu and I've been getting increasingly frustrated by the fact that eurospecticism is seen as the preserve of the xenophobic eejits.

Britain has never engaged in the eu in the same way as most member states i.e. use it as a platform for furthering national interests. At a national level, most governments understand that this is what it should be used for. One of the major side-effects of this most countries pay lip service to enforcing regulations and have, when it was fashionable, gone along with concepts like federalism when they are not remotely interested in it. In Britain, they apply the rules and waste their time hand-wringing over concepts most others ignore. The net result is that we see it as a regulatory straitjacket but other countries see it as a way of getting ahead. Basically, we are wasting our time and there are other ways to ensure free trade.
      WHS.

Britain just doesn't understand the EU, it's not in our psyche to ignore rules and regs that are not in our interests.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        it's not in our psyche to ignore rules and regs that are not in our interests.
        A nation of jobsworths?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          A nation of jobsworths?
          Partly that, but partly a deference to authority and 'doing the right thing'.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I say OUT. Nobody is going to stop trading with us just because we have chosen not to slavishly follow rules dreamt up by EU career politicos. Plus we could then apply the same points scoring rules to immigration across the board. And I doubt anyone but the Frogs will get too miffed in light of the problems that some of those tied to the Euro are currently experiencing.
            Even non EU countries diverse as Norway and China have to comply with EU rules if they export to the EU. If the UK is in the EU, then at least they can get involved in drafting the rules.

I do however think that the EU has lost its way. It started out with the wellbeing of citizens as its primary concern. These days the primary concern is to protect big businesses and banks.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Besides, what calibre of numpty cannot pass Johnny Foreigners points requirements?
              Those who end up unemployed as a result of being outsourced to Bob and pals?
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                Those who end up unemployed as a result of being outsourced to Bob and pals?
                Eh? Outsourcing has nothing to do with failing an Entry Points system to another country.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Britain should negotiate its exit from the EU. We would still work very closely with the EU, but we just wouldn't be in the actual union.

I think it's lack of confidence, plus politicians' general desire to strut the big stages that has lead to the UK being inside the EU. We've never really wanted political integration with europe, but we've been scared of missing out on the action. Plus we felt we had to be in it else France would run the whole thing.

The UK should leave the EU on good terms and have the vision to forge a new independent future. Euroskepticism is not a dirty word, and it does not imply xenophobia or 'little Englander'. If anything, if the UK left it would actually help the EU.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    Out. I'm a paid up member of UKIP.

The EU is bad, bad, bad. Unelected, corrupt, expensive and unaccountable.

We need to regain control of our own destiny, of our own borders and do what's best for the people of this country. Our sovereignty was given away without our consent, in my view a treasonable offence.
                    Please explain the above statement?

Unelected - I believe that you can vote for MEPs much like you can vote for an MP. Civil servants, whether Euro or UK are not elected
                    Corrupt - so tell me which government is not corrupt. You only have to look at the scandals that have hit the UK government recently
                    Expensive - yes it is but so is the UK government, possibly more so in relation.
                    Unaccountable - not its not, the same as the UK government. They were both elected therefore your vote counts

Admittedly there are some wrongs which need to be righted
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X