• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Battery Hassle - Advice Sought

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I think once I've got a decent socket set they'll be more tractable. The last time I had to do this, I had a housemate who could lend me his tools, but now I'll have to get my own
    But if you go to Kwik Fit etc. they'll have the tools, saving you the bother (and cost) of acquiring them!

Comment

Yep, I definitely need a new battery sooner rather than later - this is more along the lines of keeping it going for a couple of days while I get the bolts sorted out.

How were alternators in 1989? This car is old enough to have its own polling card for tomorrow

The bolts are looking a bit better after I cleaned some of the crap away and left them sprayed with WD40 for a couple of nights. I just sprayed some more on, and I'll have a go at them tomorrow when I've got the proper tools for the job...

... or possibly the improper tools for the job

I think once I've got a decent socket set they'll be more tractable. The last time I had to do this, I had a housemate who could lend me his tools, but now I'll have to get my own

The problem I had (and you may have) is that (a) a spanner (10mm in my case) would just have stripped the rusty nut heads and (b) there was no space for a spanner to turn anyway, so the solution needed to be a socket. But I didn't have my socket set with me. What I did have luckily is a kind of all purpose socket (containing lots of pins that supposedly fits many sizes of socket, but badly, and mine is also a bit broken, anyway it was the best I had). I used the head off that and connected it to another wrench (2 actually, it was a mess) one of which had a square profile that I could use a spanner on to turn the socket.

Comment

How were alternators in 1989? This car is old enough to have its own polling card for tomorrow
        I think the current (and voltage) alternators output was based on the battery voltage alone, and probably still is to an extent. But voltage isn't a very good indicator of battery charge, and batteries prefer a slower charge and not too high a voltage for extended periods. Even so, batteries used to last quite a few years if not too overworked.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          I think the current (and voltage) alternators output was based on the battery voltage alone, and probably still is to an extent. But voltage isn't a very good indicator of battery charge, and batteries prefer a slower charge and not too high a voltage for extended periods. Even so, batteries used to last quite a few years if not too overworked.
          The consensus on the web seems to be that a lead-acid battery has a lifetime of around five years, with any more being a bonus, so almost seven-and-a-half years isn't bad going. The previous battery went downhill very fast, although that was in the middle of winter during a snowy period, when it wasn't unusual for it to lose most of its charge overnight.

Upon investigation it transpires that the jump-starter has a trickle-charge mode when connected to the cigarette lighter socket - I may give that a go.

The problem is that the car's also very low on fuel so I need to fill up, and I would imagine petrol stations aren't too keen on people jump-starting cars on the forecourt, what with the risk of sparks. So I need to get enough charge into it to be able to start again after filling up, or head off on foot to the petrol station with a jerry can.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            But if you go to Kwik Fit etc. they'll have the tools, saving you the bother (and cost) of acquiring them!
            True, but replacing the battery is one of the few things I actually know how to do on the car, so it seems like a shame to get somebody else to do it

Comment

The consensus on the web seems to be that a lead-acid battery has a lifetime of around five years, with any more being a bonus, so almost seven-and-a-half years isn't bad going. The previous battery went downhill very fast, although that was in the middle of winter during a snowy period, when it wasn't unusual for it to lose most of its charge overnight.

Upon investigation it transpires that the jump-starter has a trickle-charge mode when connected to the cigarette lighter socket - I may give that a go.

The problem is that the car's also very low on fuel so I need to fill up, and I would imagine petrol stations aren't too keen on people jump-starting cars on the forecourt, what with the risk of sparks. So I need to get enough charge into it to be able to start again after filling up, or head off on foot to the petrol station with a jerry can.
              I'd park on a slope overnight if there's one close by. I went for almost a year like that in my youth (starter motor was knackered). I also used to push start it, with some embarrassing moments. But cars were easier to push start in them days. I'd bet your battery will start your car on the forecourt while the engine is still warm.

Edit: I doubt they'd notice if you left the engine running anyway.
              Last edited by TimberWolf; 5 May 2010, 21:21.

Comment

I was going to say that modern cars will charge the battery when idling , but that won't help you...

As it is, I think Halfords charge £15 to change a battery. Simples.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I'd park on a slope overnight if there's one close by. I went for almost a year like that in my youth (starter motor was knackered). I also used to push start it, with some embarrassing moments. But cars were easier to push start in them days. I'd bet your battery will start your car on the forecourt while the engine is still warm.

Edit: I doubt they'd notice if you left the engine running anyway.
                  No slope available, and it usually gets broken into if left on the street around here

Still, the jump-starter got it going first time, so at least I know I can get moving - I'd just better not stall at the lights

Given that there are two petrol stations within a minute's walk, I'll just fill the can up on foot, top the car up, and go for a nice blat down the motorway

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    As it is, I think Halfords charge £15 to change a battery. Simples.
                    Free battery check and, if it's knackered, £4.99 to fit the new one if you buy it from them

Comment

Have you tried topping it up with distilled water (Obviously not an option if it's a sealed one).

Low water levels stop them from holding charge and they are often fine again once topped up.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X