• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tips for when seaching for a IT job.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bovvered
    wtf

Hmmmm ....have to agree.... is there a separate section on here for ... "Those who need help?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bumner
      Hmmmm ....have to agree.... is there a separate section on here for ... "Those who need help?"
      I could point you in another direction...but it would have to be via PM

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
        I could point you in another direction...but it would have to be via PM

.....but ......I am PM....??????

Comment

NO! I am PM!!!
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor
            Did you ever go to Xenon nightclub in Piccadilly ?
            now those were the days!
            Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
              NO! I am PM!!!

....PROVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor
                1. Use www.jobserve.com or www.monster.co.uk - I've found these to be the best two websites for IT jobs.
                2. Once you've found a job that's been posted to the website - call the agency and ask about the job (do not send your CV straight away as most agencies post a fake position just to get cv's)
                3. Ask the agency :-
                - For the job spec
                - Are they the prefered supplier to that client (you may find the job posted by another agency that is)
                -The rate. Most agencies use the phrase "upto £xxx a day" which means they will try and knock you down once you've been offered the job. Tell them right from the outset how much you want.
                - Is there any travel involved. If so will you be paid expenses.

Good luck......

So do you think the reason I find it hard to get work is connected with my turning up to interviews pissed out of my box, with dribble down the front of my week old shirt, and smelling horribly of urine. Next time I'll do it properly like you say and ask about the rate and travel. You know, you might just have turned my life around. Thanks.

Oddly enough the contractor next to me looks like a down and out and is sometimes a wee bit wiffy.

Fungus

Comment

.. and go to the interview in the wife's car, not your flash Contractor-Mobile. Also, ditch the expensive watch and get an Interview Watch from Argos - say about £50s worth so it looks like you've made a bit of an effort.
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Yes, I have to admit I turned up to an interview on a clients site in my old TVR Griffith 5.0l V8 setting off car alarms in the company car park etc. Caused quite a stir with perms taking photos using their mobile phones. Spent half an hour in interview fully qualified but sadly no job.

Since then, turned up in this, courtesy of my wife's father's trabant:-

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X